It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:55 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 5 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Need some help!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:15 pm 

taz575 wrote:Yeah, I was wondering if I needed give to the strop to fully remove the burr, but wasn't sure if others have had good luck on a hard strop vs the hanging strap strop. I will order up some more leather strops/compounds from Mark and the USB microscope so I can get a better idea of what is happening with the edge.

Yeah, the USB microscope sounds like a good idea and would give you a good idea on the burr or what's going on with your edge, it would also be useful for other knives as well. So a good pick up. I have been finishing my razors on a Shapton glass 16k and then stropping on bovine with half micron diamond spray followed by bare horse leather all strops are in the 3x11 HA base. And I am pleased, but I think I'm going to pick up a J-Nat Ozuku asagi as it seems to be a popular choice for finishing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:20 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, the Ozuka Asagi works well, leaves a nice clean edge. I have some of the stropping stuff here already; I tried some 1 micron BC paste on my Ozuka Asagi, got sharp, but wasn't as clean looking as off the stone with a little slurry. Gonna order some roo and horsebutt leather and some 1/2 and 1/4 micron. The 1 micron BC was coarser looking scratch wise than the Ozuka Asagi itself under the eye loupe.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:52 pm 

taz575 wrote:Yeah, the Ozuka Asagi works well, leaves a nice clean edge. I have some of the stropping stuff here already; I tried some 1 micron BC paste on my Ozuka Asagi, got sharp, but wasn't as clean looking as off the stone with a little slurry. Gonna order some roo and horsebutt leather and some 1/2 and 1/4 micron. The 1 micron BC was coarser looking scratch wise than the Ozuka Asagi itself under the eye loupe.

Good info Tim. I know many prefer to shave right off the J-Nat followed by a little stropping on bare leather. As many people have said diamond compounds on razors can produce a slightly harsh finish, at least in the coarser microns . I have read .5 µm chromium oxide produces a less harsh finish than .5 µm diamond compounds or sprays. I like the idea of just using the J-Nat with a slurry and then slowly adding water to refine the edge and then straight to bare leather to finish on. Lots of different ways to produce a good shave ready edge, lots of experimenting :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:14 pm 

after the ozuku asagi, if you look at the edge under a loupe or microscope, it will have a sandblasted appearance rather than the typical scratch pattern.

pat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, thats what it looked like! Like a matte finish vs scratches. 1 Micron BC left scratches, ozuka didn't leave the same look. Bare leather polished up the bevel a bit more, too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:06 pm 

yes, i give it the bare leather strop after the ozuku, too.

pat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

Put in an order at Straight Razor Design! Omega 49 Boar Brush, Proraso Green soap, Mitchells Wool Fat Soap, SRD 100% Pure Essential Oil Shaving Soap in lavender, Straight Razor Designs Bulldog Shaving Mug in Royal Blues, Acrylic Brush Stand in black, alum block and styptic pencil, Proraso after shave and Thayers with hazel alcohol free toner with aloe vera, and their shaving DVD to help me out. Gotta order some strop and compounds from CKTG, along with the USB microscope as well. Gonna get 1/2 and 1/4 micron stuff, some horse, some cow and some roo leather strops.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:26 am 

Taz, i'm excited for you. let us know how you like these products after you've had a chance to use them.

pat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:46 pm 

Taz, here's another video link for you - I found it to be very informative and learned a great deal from it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRMu-WEaFNE
I think the Ozuku Asagi is a good finisher - i have one - I also just ordered a Nakayama as well from Ken - don't have it yet but many SR folks think there's nothing quite like the Nakayama. Pricey for sure. Probably worth checking out the shave directly after a good finish on the Ozuku (without stropping) - your other Jnats should work great leading up to that. I think there's a different feel between a finish with leather stropping and finishing directly off the stone.

I haven't got my Richmond razors yet so can't make any comments yet - love hearing about your experiences and experiments as you go.

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:00 pm 
Forum Moderator

I worked on the razor I got from my great uncle today. This one just says magnetosteel in all capital letters on the tang, nothing else anywhere. It had a decent crack about 5/32" or so from the toe that went up and back diagonally for around 1/8". So I took it to the KMG and flattened the round noise into kind of a straight point style, but I brought the edge point back a bit so I can use the flat on the top to guide it along my ears and not get sliced by the point. Took it to the buffer to brighten up the blade, so there is still some buffing residue in the pics.

Before:

After:

Page 3 of 5 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next