It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:36 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 5 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Need some help!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:57 pm 

You don't need compounds for a good edge. You can get an edge closer but a lot of the finer compounds that make an edge sharper may not make the razor shave better. Some people like the edge. Some don't. Everyone's skin/beard are different. I can get shavable edges with compounds but they aren't as comfortable of a shave.

There is a lot of love for a natural stone finishes in the straight razor world. Some people also love barber hones so once again, to each their own.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

OK, I will continue to play with the stones and compounds I have currently and go from there. The ozuka asagi left a nice edge, but I didn't shave off of the stone edge. May try that the next time I use it!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:23 pm 

Taz,

that's what i do, shave right off my ozuku asagi and i like it. the compounds for me can sometimes feel harsh.

pat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

I cleaned up the Richmond a bit more and worked on my great uncles old blade (a pyramid with a cross in it and then Gottlieb Hammesfarr, Soligen, foche with a 60 on the other side of the tang, has the original cardboard box), and got the chip 99% removed. Went to the Ozuka Asagi and stropped on leather. The Gottlieb worked well, the Richmond did better, but it was still off. When I felt the edge on the Richmond, it felt like I had a burr. Cutting thru receipt paper made the wire edge fold over, so now I get to deburr. I read about going several strokes on 1 stone, dropping down to the next coarser stone, 1 stroke per side and so on to remove the burr. Any other methods I should try? Neither blade will tree top arm hair or do the HHT. first time sharpening a straight razor, used to doing knife edges that I want to have tooth, so I am a bit lost here! I did find that my San Aoto stone works beautifully on the blades, as does my Yaginoshima Asagi and Ozuka Asagi, but I am just left with a burr and not able to tree top hairs. They shave OK; better than last night, but still not quite there. But no cuts yet though!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:40 am 

Taz,

one mantra i keep saying to myself as i hone a razor on the higher grit stones is: "more pressure is never the answer". it will work to your detriment.

pat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:11 am 
Forum Moderator

I've been using much lighter strokes, but still have the burr?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:34 am 

taz575 wrote:I've been using much lighter strokes, but still have the burr?

I'm still new to it also Tim, but here is a few videos that helped me.
http://youtu.be/XXuIuNw6ZS4
http://youtu.be/GQd8lOd1yqI

A video of MRMagnus Honing
honing-a-razor-t3847.html

A good stropping vid
http://youtu.be/9mj5YliQQzg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:05 pm 
Forum Moderator

Hmmm. More stuff to try. I have been stropping on leather attached to a wood block, should I use the slack leather to stop instead? I am wondering if I am just aligning the burr and not removing it?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:10 pm 

taz575 wrote:Hmmm. More stuff to try. I have been stropping on leather attached to a wood block, should I use the slack leather to stop instead? I am wondering if I am just aligning the burr and not removing it?

I'm not sure if one technique of stropping is better than the other, I know both paddle and hanging type strops are effective, I personally also strop on wood backed, paddle type strops. I may try out a hanging type strop though, as it just seems quicker and more convenient hanging in the bathroom. You would think that a hanging type strop with some slack in it would just roll the edge over, but people have been using that technique for a long time, so no right or wrong way I guess. I suppose you could experiment with the pyramid technique while you're honing, where you drop down to one level lower gritstone for a stroke or two and then move back up. If your having burr issues it may help.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, I was wondering if I needed give to the strop to fully remove the burr, but wasn't sure if others have had good luck on a hard strop vs the hanging strap strop. I will order up some more leather strops/compounds from Mark and the USB microscope so I can get a better idea of what is happening with the edge.

Page 2 of 5 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next