It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:19 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 7 of 13 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cutting board wood
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

Curious as to where you live? If it was a big climate shift, it may need a few days to acclimate itself to it's new environment.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:45 pm 

Connecticut, near the Long Island sound. Came from North Carolina. Not a crazy climate shift but the weather has been getting hotter and more humid and the moisture in the air is getting thicker and thicker.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ah, I am in CT, too! Yeah, not too much difference climate wise; a little warmer down in NC, but not like going from Maine to Arizona or something like that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:32 pm 

Got home. No difference in the warping from this morning (so that's good?). Put it in a trash bag and spread rice out all over the curved part (bottom) and sealed up trash bag. Put it in my air conditioned bed room under a dresser and here's hoping it removes the moisture and flattens it out. I'll probably let it stay in there for 12 hours and inspect it before work. Either let it go in my un-air conditioned room for 8 hours or stand it up on its edge for 8 hours in my un-air conditioned room. Hoping to see a result with the rice method in the next 12 hours.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:21 am 

Think more moisture will evaporate from the board if left in a low humidity air-conditioned room with air circulating around it than in a trash bag with rice. The bag traps moisture.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:28 am 

I was thinking that, but decided to try the trash bag idea as when my phone gets in water I put it in rice in a bag, but that may not make a difference there given the rice per object size ratio. Before I go to bed I'll inspect it and probably just let it rest on its side against my bureau overnight and all day tomorrow while I'm at work.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:30 am 

rayong wrote:Think more moisture will evaporate from the board if left in a low humidity air-conditioned room with air circulating around it than in a trash bag with rice. The bag traps moisture.

I agree. I would stand it on it's side in the air conditioning and let go and see what happens.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:53 am 

I just did it. Your logic makes sense. I turned my window AC unit on "Dry" so it will suck all the moisture from the room and keep it cool.

If this works, it will go back to normal right? Or is there always going to be some warping? And I guess I have to be extremely careful whenever washing it after all of this...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:14 am 

If you have to be "careful" about washing it you're going to love the food poisoning.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:35 am 

Lepus wrote:If you have to be "careful" about washing it you're going to love the food poisoning.

Balls! I cut everything but poultry on mine and never give it more than a wipe with a wet paper towel. Maybe a squirt of Windex if I'm feeling all Martha Stewart.

Page 7 of 13 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next