It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:52 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kikuichi TKC or Akafusa PM
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:19 am 

You sold your wine to become one of us? Gooble gobble.

Haut Brion remains the only first growth Bordeaux I haven't tried. Consider me jealous you have so much fine wine cluttering the cellar you had to pitch five bottles. To be honest, though, I'd rather have the knives. Well done.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:14 am 

I sure hope an effortless brunoise will ease the pain. The five bottles of Haut Brion def. wasn't by choice. Had a case, of which I gifted 2 bottles and drank 1 during Christmas of 2010. Still have 4 left post-consignment which, seems like 8 too few. I had to meet a minimum auction value for the bottles to be assessed. The Schrader was even more painful to let go (I'm a huge fan of New World cabs). They were from the Napa Valley Premiere Auction. Only 60 bottles were produced and those 2 were my only 2.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:47 am 

Whew! At least you got some great knives out of it. Something of a shame about the Schrader; I love California cabernets at about the five year mark. At least with the Haut Brion you still have a few left. Any plans on when to drink them?

If we get much deeper into wine we're going to have to move the conversation.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:21 pm 

Ha, at least there's a tertiary relationship between wine and knives. Plan on cracking a bottle next weekend. A friend is bringing a 2005 Romanee-Conti Echezeaux to start. Still planning the menu, but, to bring this back around to knives, will def. be prepping with the Akifusa and/or the TKC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:45 am 

Our sommelier, on being told your wife had you sell five bottles of Haut Brion, asked me to pass on that he hopes your divorce goes smoothly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:15 am 

ChipB wrote:I sure hope an effortless brunoise will ease the pain. The five bottles of Haut Brion def. wasn't by choice. Had a case, of which I gifted 2 bottles and drank 1 during Christmas of 2010. Still have 4 left post-consignment which, seems like 8 too few. I had to meet a minimum auction value for the bottles to be assessed. The Schrader was even more painful to let go (I'm a huge fan of New World cabs). They were from the Napa Valley Premiere Auction. Only 60 bottles were produced and those 2 were my only 2.

Wow, you let go of some really nice bottles. Your new knives will reward you for a long time though. I also am a fan of the better new world Napa cabs, so I could imagine your pain on the Schrader. 2000 was a special year for Bordeaux as well, I have never tasted the 2000 Haut Brion, but I did try the 2000 Lafite, And it was a special wine. I do remember very well the 1989 Haut Brion though, it was one of the best wines I've ever had.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:02 am 

Yeah, 2000 and 2005 were epic vintages for Bordeaux. The one bottle that I opened back in 2010 we paired with a 2003 Colgin Estate IX. Actually preferred the Colgin back then though it may have been at lest a couple years premature for the Haut Brion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:37 pm 

So Akifusa 240MM Arrived yesterday. Insanely sharp OOTB. Kikuichi should arrive today. Baby was sleeping in next room, so didn't want to start banging around on the cutting board, but here is a quick video of some unassisted thin slices on a small, soft heirloom tomato:
KBoczHGEyQ8&feature=youtu.be

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:38 pm 

Sorry, video here:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:45 pm 

Let's try this one more time (you can tell I'm a bit challenged w/new media): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBoczHG ... youtube.be

Page 2 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next