It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:38 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 12 of 22 [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Show us your knives!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:16 am 

Could we split some more hairs, I think the drugs I did back in the eighties will eventually show up, while I was using GermanSteelRelics.
I get goofed on periodically for breaking out a certain knife for a specific task.
And if you follow my posts, all of my knives are from the higher end blacksmiths. I watch all the other guys in my kitchen get the "deals" not spending more than a 100 > 150 at Most. You can have those knives day and knight.
They are know starting to realize that spreading myself a little thin, with my spending, when they see me blowing through prep, and they start snapping photos of my knife cuts. Like making brunoise cuts from swiss chard stems to add to the root veggie ragout that accompanies the wilted chard and cauliflower puree, for the tenderloin dish; isn't such a bad idea. With the money they've spent on the several deals they thought they were getting, they could have a few less deals in their knife bag and be driving and audi at my speed.
My point being, if you want a knife, wait an extra payweek and spend the damn money on a far superior blade.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:37 am 

Well said fingercots

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:04 pm 

Lots of great knives in this thread.

Here's a couple pics of mine, it's not all of them, but it's the current daily rotation.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:03 pm 

how far have you gone olde forgecraft

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:47 am 

fausto wrote:how far have you gone olde forgecraft

Not sure I understand your question fausto, but yes that is a old (circa 1950's I would guess) Forgecraft 10 inch chefs knife. The knife is a little thick behind the edge (compared to modern high end J-knives) but still better than most non J-knives made today. It cuts well, It's very durable, it takes a wicked edge and the carbon steel holds it pretty decent.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:22 pm 

hutch, it was a compliment to the durability of that forgecraft. if after so many years can keep up (you keep it in great shape), and be in a rotation next to great knives as those.

i´ve never handled one. but i can imagine it as a fun project.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:26 pm 

My lineup....ImageImage

Left to Right:
Victorinox paring
Opinel carbon paring x2
Tojiro DP paring
Tojiro ITK 150 petty
Sab-style small slicer (tweaked to be a killer boning knife)
Buho nakiri
Dexter offset sandwich/bread knife

Victorinox 8" chef
Old Hickory "French Chef"
Hiromoto AS 210
Itto Ryu 210 hammered white #2
Fujiwara FKM 240
Konosuke HH 240 funayuki/gyuto

Best cutter- Itto Ryu. HANDS DOWN. Perfect blade road/grind. Zero grind edge. Flawless food release, geometry and profile. I wish the handle was a little nicer, but it is by far the highest quality blade and best performer.

Daily beater- Hiromoto AS. After a careful thinning, it performs very well and seems to take on just about any ingredient without flinching. Mine came in short at around 41mm... Luckily I have small hands, but I still wish I had a little more knuckle clearance (or a thinner handle to give me some room).

Jealous of all the other beautiful knives I'm seeing in this thread!!!
Thanks for looking!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:40 pm 

I love how in these photos of our collections you almost always see that ol' Victorinox chefs knife still hanging around. One of the best budget knives ever made.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

BTM - that's awesome that you consider your Itto Ryu the best cutter! How many people would just look at your lineup and pick the Kono HH Funy/Gyuto at the best performer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:54 pm 

I have two Vic's in my chef pak to loan out for international students

Page 12 of 22 [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 22  Next