It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:45 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 4 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hard Gyuto Decision: Moritaka vs Takeda vs Kohetsu
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:12 pm 

Basically I cut in up/down manner, but for some ingredients like spices I use rock cutting, for tomatos so far push/pull. I think a knife with a flat profile from heel to middle and then a little belly for rocking from middle to tip would be nice.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:21 pm 

It appears you are a home cook, not a pro. Either way, in an average day, how much time do you actually spend cutting food -and what types do you typicaly cut? If you're a home cook, how often do you prep big meals, cutting for more than an hour.

Also, for what it's worth, the most important aspect of using a kitchen knife is proper sharpening.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:32 pm 

True, I am a home cook. In average lets say 15mins a day. Basically paprika, broccoli, onions, carrots, zucchini/courgette, garlic, curcuma, pineapple, apple, chicken, beef (no bones of course). Its max 5x a year that cutting for more than 1h is necessay.

For sharpening I will buy an EdgePro.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:32 pm 

We're similar, except I do 1-4 hour preps a couple of times a month. I've worked in pro kitchens where the type of steel and heat treat may make a difference taking and holding an edge. At home I strop about once a week or two, touch up with a high grit stone with little metal removal maybe once a month and actually sharpen two or three times a year. Thinning the blade every couple or three years.

Stiction shouldn't be much of a problem with the foods you describe. Learn the right technique and it becomes less of an issue even with foods like potatoes.

I had the Takeda you're looking at and really liked it, but liked my Konosuke HD more. Just a personal preference. Quit stressing over steel, pick the knife you like best and learn to sharpen.

Again, JMHO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:00 am 

Considering steel is perfectly legitimate. Less constant use does not mean the knife won't require different levels of maintenance or produce a better or worse edge. At a $150-200 price tag one should besatisfied with a knife choice.

The only steels I would definitely avoid are super hard PM steels. They're hard to sharpen and have excessive edge retention, so much that a home user would very rarely need to sharpen. I don't consider that a bonus.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:13 am 

I never suggested the OP not to "consider" the steel. Sure, there are steels I avoid (e.g., most VG10 and super-hard honyaki's). I love R2 that takes a real quick edge and holds it forever. But I'm selling my R2 knives because I prefer the profile of other knives better.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:13 am 

Considering my prefered up/down cutting, what profile would fit better considering moritaka, takeda and konosuke? thanks for all your great comments! also considering that I buy a Nakiri as well to "complete" the collection ;P.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:28 am 

You'll want a knife with a long, flat length of the edge at the heel. If you're looking at the funayuki version of the Konosuke, all three fit that criteria.

A nakiri is a niche knife. Anything it can do a gyuto can do, and then some. A gyuto can do quite a lot a nakiri cannot. That said, they are a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:17 am 

I saw in other shops that they have the Kono HD with Ebony handle instead Ho wood. Is there a chance to order one of these also on CKTG?

Funayuki looks more belly than Ho actually?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

I wouldn't recommend getting a Kono HD or HH w/an Ebony handle. IMO they're too heavy and set the balance further towards the handle than is ideal for a pinch grip. I have the Konosuke HD 240 Funayuki/Gyuto with the Ho wood handle and the balance point IMO is perfect. In addition, the Ebony handled versions cost more. The ebony handles are more appropriate to the blade weight of the Fujiyama series knives IMO and not the HD/HH series blades.

Check out this Quick Look video for a rough comparison between the Kono Funy/Gyuto profile and a more traditional 240 Gyuto profile: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohd240gynew.html

Page 3 of 4 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next