It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:51 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Pig
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:40 am 
Forum Moderator

So, I've posted a few times about butchering. Maybe this will get Mark to hurry up and get that scimitar out :mrgreen:.

452lbs post processing, about 550-600 live . Red Wattle pure bred, 3 year old sow.

A few minutes later.

I just used a Victronox 40013 6" boning knife and a hand saw to get through the bones. I didn't have time to break the pig down further, but it was far too large for our walk-in on its own. More than double the other pigs that came in today.

So, when can I get a nice AEB-L Scimitar and boning knife?

Post subject: Re: Pig
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:59 am 
Forum Moderator

ANDREW <> The smoker is lit & accepting donations... ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:36 am 

I would really, really, really like to get into proper, efficient, respectful butchery. The problem is, all I get is either gourmet fancypants nonsense or hipster fashion when I try to figure it out.

Got any resources? I've had a lot of experience cutting up smaller animals, but nothing as big as I am or larger.

I realized this was a desire of mine when my wife was watching a cooking contest show and the "Winning Team" went to Sur La Table together, and the "Losers" got an entire cow hanging from a rack to butcher. I was like "Screw Sur La Table, I want that cow!!"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:38 am 

I should add that my usual approach will not work here. My usual approach to dealing with food is to careful take it apart the first time, closely inspecting how the animal worked in life, and find the cuts of meat I recognize. Problem is, I don't exactly get "practice hogs".

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:43 am 

actually ive found really cool butchery videos on youtube. i think they were recommended to me after watching PCC kitchens(theory) channel.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:35 am 
Forum Moderator

EAMON <> Where in Texas are you?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:20 pm 
Forum Moderator

Melampus: Our smoker is big enough to fit a small car! :)

Eamon: Send me a PM. I'm in Houston.

We do traditional seam butchery, for the most part. The bulk of that sow will turn into dry cured meats.

As far as books go, for beef Underly's The Art of Beef Cutting is great. A more general book is the CIA Meat book subtitle Identification - Fabrication - Utilization. Whole beast butchery is okay, but has its issues (I guess all these books do). Although, to be honest practice is the best way to get good. It is hard to translate a video or picture into practical knowledge of seam/muscle location and clean bone removal.

That said, once you can cut one larger animal most of the techniques are pretty much the same animal to animal. Long ago I was taught to cut a pig hind leg one day and was given an antelope back leg the next and was told "You know how to do it." I didn't believe them, but found out I did when I started. The basic idea was the same, the only difference was the final seams you follow to make steaks and other cuts.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:27 pm 

That's what I figured, about them being similar. Fish are that way--but I wanna get into some mammals.

I'm in Hurst, Melampus.

I think a day of fun is in order for Houston soon. I know a handful of cool people to visit there, and a chance to learn some butchery would ice the cake.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:04 pm 
Forum Moderator

EAMON <> Sounds like you have everything covered with Andrew. If things don't work out, I know some boar hunters out in the Pleasanton area that field dress & butcher a lot of boar. I could look into a field day... ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

I was promised a much faster turn around time for the scimitars so I'm hoping 6 weeks on these. We'll see...

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next