It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:01 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 5 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Coffee Setup
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:01 pm 

Yeah if you are going drip Technivorm is the way to go. Are you in the Carolina's since you buy counter culture? In general I've been leaning on the side of blends getting sick of single origins. Don't like bright coffee or fruity overtones either.
So yeah once you try a lot you will surely find out exactly what characteristics you like in a coffee.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:11 pm 

Are you in the Carolina's since you buy counter culture?

GA. The coffee typically arrives two days after placing my order.

I've got a local spot in downtown Marietta that roasts their own, but not as fresh as CC. It's also enough of a drive that I find myself going around the corner to the green and white place to often.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:00 am 

Is Counter Culture really that fantastic? I'm about fifteen minutes away but I didn't realize it was quite so prominent.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:25 am 

Lepus wrote:Is Counter Culture really that fantastic? I'm about fifteen minutes away but I didn't realize it was quite so prominent.

I was recently introduced to it by a local coffee nut. In doing my research they have an Atlanta location as well, but it's a training facility and not open to the public. Which was a bit odd/kind of cool. During my research on them they definitely come up frequently in coffee circles and appear to be in the top tier nationally for those in the coffee scene (which I'm not). They have a good story and the claim is your coffee beans are always roasted to order normally within 12 hours or so of getting the order and then it goes out the door. So if fresh carefully selected beans are an appeal and one can handle planning 2-3 days out then yeah so far so good from my perspective. I've long despised the move to 10-12 bags rather than the old school 16 oz. They fall into the former camp, but since I'm paying for shipping I order two bags at a time and that lasts the household ~ 2weeks so I'm ok with it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:56 am 

I get some local roasted Phila coffee in 16oz bags but it usually from the daily bulk tubes while their bags are 12 oz. Most coffee roasters say they like the 12oz so your coffee doesn't go stale. My house probably goes through 16-24oz a week. If coffee is lasting longer might have to look into the vacuum canisters that make the beans stay fresher. But it could totally be a cost saving thing going 12oz bags.

Lepus if your only 15 minutes away you def try them out. Local roasters are the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:10 pm 

Most coffee roasters say they like the 12oz so your coffee doesn't go stale. That is a very altruistic view they take. :) I don't recall the prices dropping 25% when the switch took place. I'm happy to pay a premium for various reasons, but I don't believe it has anything to do with ensuring the best possible product for their customers. A little bit of a similar dust up took place a few years ago about cereal box sizes.

Personally, I blame Colonel Sanders and his wee bitty eyes before he went tits up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:03 pm 

The Technivorm Moccamaster is the only way to go for drip--I agree! Not cheap, but I really like the funky design and, of course, the end result. It's the only drip machine out there that keeps the water at the ideal temperature--works like a dependable robot and holds the temp between 195 and 205. Colder than that and you get a weak, bitter brew. Hotter, you get scorched coffee. And the brew time is perfect. Have had one for about 6 years. Though I have switched to nearly 100% espresso, I still love the Technivorm. Also love its unapologetic "nothing digital" aesthetic. Almost rebellious these days.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:56 pm 

Technivorm and a decent burr grinder will get you as good a cup of drip as you'll ever taste.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:10 pm 

I'm also a big fan of the Krups Moka Brew. Over the years they've discontinued it, brought it back and discontinued it again. It's a pressurized drip machine that makes something between espresso and regular drip. I've heard it called Americano, but don't know what that is, exactly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:15 pm 

A cafe Americano in Europe generally is half espresso half hot water with the order being espresso than water poured on top. The long black is the opposite. Hot water first followed by espresso. That keeps the crema intact. Both drinks it's usually a double shot of espresso being used.

If there is no crema it's not espresso.

Historically it's a WW2 thing when Americans needed coffee in the European theatre.

Page 4 of 5 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next