It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:19 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: New Member--Japanese Newbie
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:59 pm 

If you want two of those, I would go with the Masakage and the Laser. They would give you the most variety and help you learn exactly what you like about each knife.

Personally, I would suggest buying the Masakage, playing with it for a week, and reflecting on what you like afterward to buy the next knife.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:38 pm 

Yo Cricket,

As I noted, I am still going though what you are about to begin. I do not know your ultimate intended purposes for your knives but I am glad you are choosing to compare knife materials. If your goal is to keep one of the knives and sell the other then the question is are you comparing 240 gyutos or are you determining if you like the feel of a 240 vs. 270 Gyuto or visa versa or ??? If you are questioning everything like I do then your head is spinning reading about the dimensions, materials and weights of each of the knives you are considering. If you have narrowed your search to the 3 listed then I would go with the 240 Koishi and the 270 Laser. In this way you get to try different lengths, different metals, different geometries and very differently weighted knives. You will be able get a real example of a "Laser" with the 270 and a very high Quality steel/construction with the Masakage. You will also have 2 very distinctly different looking and performing knives from which you can start getting a real appreciation for each Smith's approach to cutting product. These two will give you more options at cutting a variety of hard and soft products as the Laser may excel and one item while the 240 might be more robust and adept at harder chores. At some point you will stop pulling your hair out trying to decide which knife is appropriate and just jump in. With the knives you have noted there is no wrong decision. Best of luck and welcome to the deep end of the pool.

Jaie

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:45 pm 

Well, I went for the Masakage and a set of shapton pros. will advise and will surely be back for more advice.

Super forum experience

jc

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:33 pm 

Look forward to hearing your opinion when it gets there. Congrats on the new toy :D

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2