It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:08 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 5 of 6 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Custom knife blocks
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:44 pm 

John/Todd - Given that these blocks will be pretty heavy (especially when "loaded") and will still need to be moved from time to time (if only for cleaning), would teflon feet on the bottom be worth considering? Something similar to the teflon furniture glides available in hardware stores.
Just a thought ....
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:00 pm 

I could certainly screw on the rubber feet that I use for my cutting boards if people wanted them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:29 pm 

John Loftis wrote:I could certainly screw on the rubber feet that I use for my cutting boards if people wanted them.

I think some may want rubber feet and some may want "slidey" feet. For mine, I think I'll just put on slidey feet to be able to help slide around on the counter. I think because of the weight of the block with the knives in it is going to be fairly heavy, having rubber feet would just make it really more difficult to move around.

Just my .02. Might be better off to let folks install whatever they want.

Todd in Chicago

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:15 pm 

I concur with Todd. I'll either add furniture glides of some sort, or perhaps get some Teflon strips to attach to the bottom.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:54 pm 

Just a reminder....

Today is the last day to place an order for a custom knife block if you are interested.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:42 pm 

Todd and John {Lone Star Artisans] - Finally got around to getting a picture of the new knife block (fortunately the quality of the block is higher than the quality of my IPhone shot!). Great design and great execution - may thanks to you both! I even have a few slots for some additional purchases. I did add [4] teflon slider feet for ease of shifting things around on the countertop. Also thanks to John at Lonestar Artisans for the walnut end grain board also show in the photo. All in all, a great set-up.
TomImage

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:40 pm 

Todd & John
Nice work. Got my cherry a few weeks ago and am very happy not to have two
blocks on the counter that still wouldn't fit what I wanted.
Good Stuff

Douglas

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:00 am 

Tpbrewton wrote:Todd and John {Lone Star Artisans] - Finally got around to getting a picture of the new knife block (fortunately the quality of the block is higher than the quality of my IPhone shot!). Great design and great execution - may thanks to you both! I even have a few slots for some additional purchases. I did add [4] teflon slider feet for ease of shifting things around on the countertop. Also thanks to John at Lonestar Artisans for the walnut end grain board also show in the photo. All in all, a great set-up.
TomImage

Doug/Tom....

So glad this worked out for you. Tom, I'm totally jealous of your kitchen! It looks great! And the funny thing is, the block does not look big in your kitchen. Beautiful block, beautiful board, beautiful kitchen!

You have quite the collection apparently, and this is EXACTLY what this block was designed for. :-) Super happy to see it worked out for both of you. I am ecstatic with mine and hope I can get my picture posting capabilities back. Even my wife who was super skeptical at first, thinks its nice.

And as I like to say around here.....a happy wife is a happy life. ;-)

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:04 pm 

So glad you guys are happy with the blocks! I'm attaching a couple pictures. It looks like I will have one extra sapele block in a couple weeks. If anyone is interested, I will e-mail them detailed pictures of the exact block so they can see what they will be getting. This was a hugely challenging and time-consuming project, but I'm glad you have guys have a nice home for all those fancy knives. :)

I could have posted pictures of my 'collection,' but since it consists of one (1) Richmond Artifex and one (1) Carter Cutlery knife, a block isn't really necessary. Maybe that will be my next project, a custom 2-knife block...

John

Attachments:
photo 3 low res.JPG [35.63 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
photo 2 low res.JPG [39.16 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
photo 1 low res.JPG [42.97 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:53 pm 

I was wondering whether there would be more blocks in the pipeline. These are incredibly lovely.

Page 5 of 6 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next