It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:40 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 5 of 5 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: >> Teruyasu 240 Gyuto <<
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:09 am 

Mel,

How are you getting those great pictures?? Is that under a digital type microscope?? Inquiring minds want to know.

Jamie

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

NEPASTOVUS <> Freehand with synthetic & Japanese natural whetstones. I reckon it’s around 11-13 dps, and I sharpen my double-bevel knives with a 70/30 right handed bias unless the primary bevel geometry is extremely different. I just sharpened a cleaver for a friend, and as they are so tall – thus the spine so far from the stone, I found myself questioning my angle. For shits & giggles, I have an angle cube so I affixed it to the cleaver. At every point of travel I could see, I was grinding at a dead solid 11 degrees… it’s just hard wired into my wrists. FYI: I did back off more obtusely for the cleaver.

Anyhow, I employed a “roll” to my strokes which is exactly what I’ve trained myself AGAINST doing for decades. You can see in the photo they are not clean cut bevels… by design. It’s not easy for me to purposely employ “slop”. I cut a clean bevel to the edge, and once I’m satisfied with that, I then employ edge trailing strokes at a very deliberate speed in which I purposely roll the blade down towards the spine as I lap the stone to round off the shoulder into the grind’s convex. I should have a han han to do so, but it’s never in stock. I’m not exactly replicating the original grind, but I’m extending the time in which it will take for the original geometry to get too far out of whack.

JAMIE <> Every & any knife related photo &/or video you see of mine on this Forum is captured on my 2 year-old iPhone 5 (first gen, not 5s).

I do have a mac daddy digital SLR, but I'm never home to use it. I've had it for years, but have yet the time to take knife photos with it. I do have the VEHO microscope <--link , but I have never posted any photos from it. I also have a very good friend that's an Executive Producer for a Polo network that has 4k video equipment that I have access to, as well. I just never have the time.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:56 am 

Thank you Mel,

I had no idea my iphone could do that. I am going to try it in the morning. Sometimes the answer is right in front of our noses.... or in this case pressed to my ear. I hope to take some pictures of my new knives and perhaps some of my own sharpening results. Thanks again.

Jamie

Page 5 of 5 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5