It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:24 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: masakage mizu 150mm petty
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:33 pm 

I already have a Masakage Shimo 150mm petty which I like very much. I'm thinking about buying a 150mm Mizu petty: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mamipe15.html but would like some feedback from those that might have this knife, or if not that one in particular a Mizu of some kind.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: masakage yuki 150mm petty
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:12 pm 

anyone??

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:55 pm 

I have not used anything in the Mizu line, but we are talking about Masakage here. I'm sure the Mizu has the same great grinds and F&F as other Masakage knives. I do like the profile of that knife. I wouldn't be afraid of that knife in the least.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:06 pm 

Yep Jeff B. thanks, I was thinking the same thing - but thought at least a couple people on the forum had some direct experience with them. I like the Shimo, but wanted to get something for my gf and wanted to try the Mizu. I see where i inadvertently put yuki in the heading - whoops, meant Mizu.
thanks.

Post subject: Re: masakage mizu 150mm petty
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:47 pm 
Forum Moderator

MJWIT <> I have written little about the Masakages because I'm still undecided as to how to approach the topic.

My two yen...

Their fit & finish IS truly fantastic. The OOTB edges have been some of the best I've seen though pretty much all here know how utterly inconsequential that is at this echelon of cutlery. The Koishi cherry handles are from the g-ds. Their (excluding the Kujira of which is unique to the other lines) choil radii are exceptionally comfortable.

I have and have only used a Koishi & a Yuki in 240 gyuto, and the one thing that needs be said about these two knives are that they are incredulously thin AT the edge. The Yuki is thinner behind the edge than the Koishi making it even particularly more "sensitive". These are exceptionally high performance knives OOTB that cut extremely well; very laser like in many ways, but I'd venture to say it is due to bevels that are even more anorexic than some lasers. At their high hardness, especially the Koishi, you really have to be particularly respectful of these knives. These are not beginner knives, and I would not suggest one for a layman... assuming your GF is not a professional cook, Chef, AND/OR ALREADY exhibits exemplary knife skills & respect towards hard steel.

REALLY, look at this grind. This is not just a cool picture that I throw around. I do it for a reason, and I do it often... to make a comment without typing. The Yuki, though not the topic of this conversation, is really an anomaly & exemplar for a common denominator in at least two of their lines; I mean LOOK AT THAT. I refrain from writing my review until I have spent months learning the blade with different sharpening approaches.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:28 pm 

Wow. Nice...

I agree, you'd wanna be careful with it in use and sharpening. Not an introductory kind of grind.
A beginner could chew through and demolish that edge in no time...

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:39 pm 

Mel, as always thanks for your thoughts and input. I'd been able to find (and see for myself with the Shimo Petty that I have) some great reviews and info on most of the Masakage lines with the exception of the Mizu. Aside from a Knife Fanatic review of one of the gyutos, haven't seen much about the Mizu. It was an attractive choice because: It's a Masakage, it's not terribly expensive, I have the Shimo which I already let the gf use and feel comfortable about, and it's a good height - at least the sample one reviewed was - much the same as the Shimo petty is. I'm going to wait a day or two before pulling the trigger and see if others weigh in.....

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:29 am 

Mel, a Masakage has been on my bucket list. If I might paraphrase to check that I understand you: the Masakage are great performers but too anemic behind the edge for someone unfamiliar with JKs. Do you think highly of them for people comfortable with JKs?

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:45 pm 

I have the mizu 150mm petty. Great knife. It comes OOTB sharp and finished at a high level. Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of the 3 lines that K. Anryu makes that are on the CKTG website.

I have seen some don't like the lacquer over the Kurouchi finish, but it is fine by me. It is my favorite KU finish I have seen/owned/used, done very, very well (you should know that I am NOT a fan of the more rustic KU finish that has some spots covered, some less so...I like it all covered, a bit of roughness is okay). It has a tinge of blue to it.

The handle isn't the worst, and certainly isn't the best. The faux buffalo hone ferrule seems kind of cheap for a knife of this caliber, but I would make that claim of any plastic/resin (not sure what it is, but it isn't real horn!) ferrule with this blade. The cherry wood is nice though, and I really like the color it takes on through use. I will be yanking my handle off soon and replacing with some handles I am building right now.

I have 4 knives from K. Anryu from 3 different lines, including my mizu petty. All are beautiful knives, well crafted, top notch fit and finish, and come out of the box among the sharpest knives I have used. I tend to like his blue knives a bit more than his white ones, but that is just me.

These knives tend to be pretty thin at and behind the edge as many have noted, and my samples are no different. As others have said, just make sure this isn't the knife you learn to sharpen on. You can, in theory, pull off some of the KU finish if you brush it with a stone. As for how delicate these might be, my mizu petty is used a lot by my 10 year old daughter, who is a newbie with knives. No chips yet. Granted she has been schooled in how to hold and use it correctly and is uber-careful, but it has been more durable than, say, an ITK 120mm petty that she also uses (white steel) that has two small chips in it.

If I can answer any specific questions, let me know.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:08 pm 

Delmar, thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences. It helped a lot with making a decision.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next