It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:30 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Gordon Ramsey's "Sharpening" Tips
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:09 pm 

I think it's obvious to most of us (on this forum)...that this is not "sharpening"... See here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syvvxx3e ... ure=g-vrec

Though, I think the principle of what he's trying to do works if he was trying to "hone" the knife with a steel. Maybe they should have used a different title for the video.

And wasn't he going at the steel a bit too hard? :) Light strokes Gordon!! :)

I would rather use a finishing stone for honing any how. Do you guys actually use steels? :)

Post subject: Re: Gordon Ramsey's "Sharpening" Tips
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:48 pm 

You know, I never noticed that he is doing something I always tell home cooks to do. If you are going to use your steel and are not a knife-nut, just use edge-trailing strokes all the time. The likelyhood of rolling or denting your edge that way is FAR lower, and you don't have to hassle with angle so much-just err on the low side, and your naturally unskilled wobble will take care of hitting the edge.

You'd better learn to use a steel at least somewhat if you are going to use that soft stainless.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:50 pm 

I should add that this does not mean I think he's doing a good job. I am not sure I have any respect for Ramsay outside of just being a successful marketeer.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:09 pm 
Site Admin

We sell stuff to his company once in a while.

I've never really watched his shows. There seemed to be a lot of yelling going on in his shows.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:51 pm 
Forum Moderator

I watched some of his shows on Netflix like Kitchen Nightmares or something. He yells and screams, throws a fit. Kinda funny to watch :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:02 pm 

I can't stand watching his shows. His short YouTube cooking tip videos once in a while sure. He CAN cook obviously.

As for this video...I think it's worthwhile. As he is using a "honing rod" the way it should be. Stropping with the steel. Not "sharpening" (e.g. knife edge traveling to the tip of the steel) motions as most people do. Unless your original intention IS to "sharpen" with a steel.

As I said, he should have called this video "how to HONE with a steel" (or who ever posted that video).

We keep seeing videos with people describing how to hone when they are actually using sharpening motions with honing rods. ;) Not diamond or ceramic sharpening steels. So home cooks watching these videos and pickup the wrong information. And pickup sometimes bad technique (e.g. quick and hard strokes) even from guys like Gordon. "Hmmm, If Gordon does it that way...". :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:24 pm 

The short-lived UK version of Kitchen Nightmares was a wonderful show. They didn't edit out him being reasonable, supportive, or laughing. Also the cooks didn't break down crying every ten seconds, and there was no background music. I could RE-watch that show better than watch the American one.

His shows are total BS nowadays. His PR team seems to try to ignore this fact, as it isn't on his wikipedia page, etc, but one of his earlier kitchens was with Marco Pierre White, a famous asshat of a chef, and sort of a grandfather of the British food explosion we are seeing now. Marco had a TV show in his place, and Gordon surely was taking notes, though he tries to pretend this was not his first TV appearance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-D8Wzqs-xc

Ramsay is a celebrity who used to be a restauranteur who used to be a chef who used to be a cook. I like cooks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:30 pm 
Site Admin

I don't know if any of you gusy read "Heat" but there is a hilarious story about White in that book where he's starts slowly building a freak out over a piece of parsley on his plate while he was eating with Bill Buford.

I exchanged an email with Bill about that a few years back when he bought a knife from us. He said the scene was completely true.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:35 pm 

Agreed. I do like the way the British approach some of their TV programming. Cooking or otherwise (e.g. Top Gear, Globe Trekker w/ Ian Wright). I think I caught a few episodes of Nigella Lawson's BBC show on the BBC channel. Possibly the UK version of Gordon's cooking show. They have some laughs and get down to business.

American shows can have a tabloid feel them. Doing whatever antics needed to sell the program.

Take how Letterman acted when Nigella Lawson appeared on his show (you can find it on YouTube). He acts like a real hillbilly. And a little rude. Makes Americans look bad in the eyes of people from elsewhere. "Do all Americans act that way?".

Any how, back to "knives"...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:00 pm 

His show named "The F Word" is excellent. It's a BBC show that has virtually no yelling and/or crying involved. At least the 5 seasons I've seen are. Ramsay's US persona is far different from the one in the UK. Good, basic English food and the history behind it. I actually really like him because of this show. If anybody's interested, PM me, I'll send you a few seasons.

Page 1 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next