It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:43 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Konosuke Fujiyama 240 white #1 guyoto review
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:47 pm 

Defaultanoan: I know what you mean. I'd have probably asked the same question. But you're right again, I just can't think of anything to fix. I tried to give those interested a sense of holding the knife and experiencing it themselves...

One thing additional I didn't mention in the review that you may find of interest is this knife just flows through product. I mean the combination of balance, the perfect amount of weight, and sheer cutting prowness...to me...creates an almost effortless experience that's a pure joy to use. I'm a home cook and find myself looking for an excuse to use this knife. Wonder if it's possible to use two at the same time? :mrgreen:
Hope this helps.
Flash

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:56 pm 

Update:

It's been a few weeks since my original post, and there were some question as to hardness that I just couldn't form an opinion on without more use. Now that I've had a chance to spend some time with the knife here are my observations.

First and foremost was in my mind a question of hardness. This blade is hard! I mean really hard. After sharpening and using and examining the edge under magnification, I find this edge tends to indeed micro fracture rather than roll. I actually observed this with a 10x loupe. I would have to say that if I were to assign a guestimate hrc number I would put this knife at 65. I have white steel knives that get dull by rolling the edge in the 62-63 range, and that is what I base my assumption on. Whatever it is, it is very hard.

I've added a Shapton Pro 15k followed by .5 micron CrO strop followed by .25 micron cbn on balsa. I've found that using the 10x loupe helps to assure every bit of the wire edge is gone. This helps this knife's edge retention. It push cuts newspaper well past 4 in., and so far is holding that edge after use. If screaming edges are your thing like they are for me, then this Fujiyama series white #1 Konosuke deserves a serious look. Vegtables are afraid of me!

Thanks for reading. I hope this information helps someone.
Flash

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:17 pm 

Flash wrote:Upon receiving the knife the first thing that struck me was the level of finish on the knife - simply beyond beyond! There are not words to convey the attention to detail and thought put into this knife. It really defies classifications such as "laser", "mighty," etc. Rather it is an amalgamation of many traits into its own unique entity. If I had to sum this knife up aesthetically it would be one word - art.

Amen.

It's not just a knife to the Japanese, it's more. It represents more.

Here's my new 270 in waiting.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:24 pm 

desol

Beautiful 270...Looks like a waterfall! If you wouldn't mind please share with us what handle material you are going to use and who is going to make and install the handle?

Again, congradulations.

Flash

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:47 pm 

Thanks, I wish the camera could do it justice. :) Mark was good to me, so I had to jump on it. I'm just gonna use my 240 Fujiyama till it's done; knock the ebony handle off, refit and install. Never done a handle before so when it comes time, I'll need to draw on some helpful experience. What I see in Japanese art in general, is an amalgamation with nature, which in a sense is something that can't really be explained or quantified, only experienced and expressed.

edit: I have considered not using it at all; keeping it in it's new condition as a collectible.

Last edited by desol on Thu May 29, 2014 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:50 pm 

[. What I see in Japanese art in general, is an amalgamation with nature, which in a sense is something that can't really be explained or quantified, only experienced and expressed.[/quote]

Well stated.

Jamie

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:05 pm 
Forum Moderator

DESOL <> Good luck getting a Kono Wa off in one piece; they are notoriously difficult to remove w/o damage.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:20 pm 

Thanks for the head's up Mel. If it's too hard to remove, then I'll just get another handle. No biggy. It's nice to hear tho, how well they're put on. I'd rather have it too solid than not solid enough.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:58 am 
Forum Moderator

Notorious.

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2