It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:37 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Quick Takamura Migaki R-2 210 Gyuto Cutting Demo
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:28 am 
Forum Moderator

Update - shot a new video after figuring out I needed to sharpen the Takamura because of a significant rolled edge in the middle part of the blade. Latest video on top.

Older video notes: basic cuts on an onion and stiction demo on a potato. I wanted to shoot a video entitled "Takamura One Finger Onion", but I didn't have the particular onions that work for the one finger trick on hand - oh well...

Pardon my amateur knife skills :-).

New version:

Old version:

Post subject: Re: Quick Takamura Migaki R-2 210 Gyuto Cutting Demo
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:36 am 

Love your kitchen wall

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

Thanks, they're hand fired 1/2" thick tiles with something like 39 different colors/patterns. Each tile is somewhat unique in itself. My wife sourced them by researching and tracking down a source from a mag article she found. We laid them out on the floor first to create a pattern, that wasn't a pattern if you know what I mean. They were a bitch to cut on the wet saw, being so thick, but the results turned out very well and yes, it's pretty much the show piece component of our kitchen.

These videos show a better view: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kiknedvi.html

BTW, I'm going to get more normal onions and do another video. The onion in this video is a tough cookie and doesn't really showcase the Takamura ease of cuts as with most onions.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:04 am 

Hey that's my job! :D

Awesome video. Nice to see you and that knife in action. I still think about that knife from time to time. If only it was available in a longer length.

I'm no videography experts, not even a novice, but your lighting, background and camera settings make it quite the scene to shoot in. Curious to know what cam you use? I bet it cost a pretty penny.

Good stuff ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:39 am 
Forum Moderator

Thanks Charlemagne. Actually I went to strop the knife this evening before a stir fry prep and realized the edge had rolled over pretty significantly to the left in the middle of the knife. I could look directly at the edge under a light and see an edge - not good :-(. Looking back at the video, the middle of the knife does not cut like is should on the onion or potato.

I did a quick sharpening on the Shapton Pro 1.5K and stropped/deburred on a diamond charged horse butt strop - what a difference :-).

I'm going to shoot another video tomorrow evening to really show what this knife can do ;-).

The camera is a Nikon D800 and it's normally used exclusively on video production work, along with externally recorded second audio. I'm going to reconfigure and improve the lighting for the next video(s). This was just the house kitchen lights, along with a single Lowel Pro-Light. I'm going to drag out the Chimera softbox and also bounce a Pro-light off a white card against the wall for more fill. We'll see how that does.

You do a nice job of lighting and shot setup BTW - as you know, it's harder and more tedious than people think.

Here are of couple 30 second spots that my editor (and sound/grip guy on filming shoots) put together for St. Louis Community College to air on local TV stations. We probably filmed over 100 students in various locations at two different campuses. More spots will come later as requested by the cllient. The D800 does a really nice job if you manage the lighting decently well. These still need a little tweaking on audio levels and a couple other minor adjustments before final release.

Here are a couple older videos in an interview/b-roll style. I've since gotten a better hand held rig that I can stabilize better. I also shoot more on sticks where possible - sometimes it's really run 'n gun though :-).

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:20 am 

Yeah those videos really did show off the wall. I want the wall in every video now, its a star!

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:37 am 

Thanks for the video Lighting is very nice and relaxing, though folks' pronunciation of "gyuto" always rubs me the wrong way. For people with non-Japanese pronunciation, it might be best to rhyme the first syllable with "few".

My Takamura had a rather fragile edge out of the box and developed some microchips and a little rolling...a follow-up sharpening cleaned it up and it seems more stable now. I get the feeling that their shop's sharpening process puts some fatigue on the edges.

Like mine so much that I have a 180mm on the way, and I'll probably get one or both of them rehandled. Might set one up with a wa handle, just to try it.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:03 am 
Forum Moderator

Shot a new video after sharpening the edge - go back to first post to view...

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:51 am 

Steve don't be so hard on yourself, sure some of us might have lightning fast skills but you are just as good if not better than most of the cooks in my kitchen.

You should do more of these videos, you have the equipment and the quintessential voice for this type of thing. They give a little bit more than the quick look videos.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:03 am 

Steve I really enjoy your videos. Somebody like me who sharpens but is not a skilled user of the product appreciates your work.

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next