It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:56 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Global sai series?
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:19 am 

I've been in the market for a durable stainless line knife. Cooks at my restaurant are grabby and its hard for me to have my hard carbon knives on the line.I dont like soft global steel and wide angles, apparently this new series is harder and has 12.5 degree bevel. Does anyone know anything about these knives? Oh and I bought the small santoku after hating on these knives for years.

Post subject: Re: Global sai series?
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:59 am 

The only thing I know it uses the same steel as all the global lines CROMOVA 18 but it is suppose to have a higher rockwell of 58-59 as there other lines are only 56-58.

I probably go Richmond Artifex personally instead. Better steel that takes a sharper edge and is HRC 60-61 with G10 or micarta handle depending on which blade you get. I dislike stainless handles and G10 and Micarta take beating.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:08 am 
Forum Moderator

JASPER <> Assuming you feel Hrc61 is too brittle for the line, take a long hard look at the Fujiwaras... <--link as they are an appropriate match in your application.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:52 pm 

I have handled them. They were surprisingly heavy, far too much so, and expensive. I wouldn't consider them.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:05 pm 
Site Admin

If you give us some guidelines about what you want we can give you some suggestions.

Durable
Stainless
Line knife

Price range?
Size?
Wa handle or western handle?
Do you sharpen your knives? If so how?

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:33 pm 

If it says Global, I look the other direction for something else. ANYTHING Global is overrated and over priced.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:42 pm 

I have a Sai 7.5in chef's. If you are looking for a heavy duty knife, the Sai is pretty darn good. The first thing you will notice is that it is heavy. Believe mine is around 8.5oz and the 250MM is about 11.5 oz. The blade is definitely sharp with good toothiness. I love the handle and overall ergonomics but the height might be just a bit short. Basically, I would comp this knife to higher end germans with a more acute edge angle and better hardness. I really like the knife for most work and am definitely not shy about putting it through chicken bones/joints. Despite all that, I think it does a pretty good job with softer veggies as well. It has held it's edge nicely so far and only requires some hits on a ceramic rod to keep it in shape (use almost daily for the past 5 months).

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:27 pm 

The Sai series is why I ended up here. I was content with my globals. I got a good deal on Ebay getting a six piece set for 170.00. Then I saw global had a new knife out and went to check for the best price. Happened upon CKTG and never really left. I price checked a couple times and CKTG had the best prices.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:27 pm 

Sounds like maybe your cooks should learn some respect for other people's things :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:00 pm 

Cooks are what they are. It's worse when, in my instance, the owner is grabby. When he walks in the room my knives go away.

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next