It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:37 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: help me find a second knife ( carbon this time!)
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:21 pm 

Hello!

I bought a Gesshin Uraku gyoto 240mm SS that I love to death! Everyone thinks I paid 300+ dollar as it cuts like a dream and obliterates any global, miyabi people have in their kitchen!

I am looking for a carbon knife, either a petty or a nakiri/chinese cleaver. I am looking for a "cheap" one in the MAX 60-70 range. Was thinking Tojiro, Tanaka or Yamashin brand? In white #1-2 or Blue.

I long smaller profile petties ( not high heel, gyuto-like shape)
Preferably 120-135 max 150mm
I break down alot of chicken, cut A LOT of vegetables (for a home cook) so definitely more workhorse-ish.

Thanks so much!

Post subject: Re: help me find a second knife ( carbon this time!)
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:36 pm 

At that price range, it's worth checking out something like the Fujiwara.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fujiwarapetty.html

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:41 pm 

Forgot to mention I really love the wa handle!

Love at first sight! Don't really want to go back!

Also I am a lefty and my girfriend a righty!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:54 pm 

The Zakuri Blue#1 Petty 150mm may fit your criteria. Works well for left or right hand, in your budget, wa handle, and might have enough backbone to withstand chickens. OOS at the moment though.

Tanaka knives are very good too. Although I don't know of any that come with oval handles. Just a minor issue in your case, but they do make excellent knives with a pretty darn close 50/50 grind.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:19 pm 

The Yamashin knives are very thick, sturdy blades. Moderate reactivity for white#1 and tough to sharpen. The product description states " features hand-forged double-layer white-paper steel blade (white #1)" from my observation I did not see any soft cladding on the knife similar to a mono-steel blade. Thinning takes a little patience but the time invested will pay off. Feedback through the knife is positive and lively with good edge retention too.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:19 pm 

Just posted this in another thread: "Of those listed I have only used the Tojiro ITK 150mm petty and the Tanaka KU nakiri. IMHO, the tanaka is the higher quality knife. I find the finish to be more attractive and durable, the cladding less reactive, the grind to be thinner and more consistent, and I really like blue #2 steel in general (though white steels are not far behind). Can't speak to the others though..."

Of note, the Tojiro have a reputation for being very reactive and I have found that to be the case.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:00 pm 

As always, the knife I prefer is the knife OOS :P

I prefer the profile on the Zakuri than on the Yamashin. If it was only for me, I'd already have ordered the Tanaka Nakiri as it is cheap and Nakiris look pretty badass!

Thanks for the info, I'll gravitate towards those choices!

I'll let you know when I pull the trigger!

Alex

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:24 am 

I have the the tojiro itk petty 150. Agree the cladding is very reactive, rust right before your eyes. Knife I got after that is SS clad blue #2 and its wonderful. Blue 2 not very reactive and takes a nice sharp edge. The white takes a great edge too but the reactivity of the cladding was a put off.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:40 pm 
Site Admin

atang wrote:The Zakuri Blue#1 Petty 150mm may fit your criteria. Works well for left or right hand, in your budget, wa handle, and might have enough backbone to withstand chickens. OOS at the moment though.

Tanaka knives are very good too. Although I don't know of any that come with oval handles. Just a minor issue in your case, but they do make excellent knives with a pretty darn close 50/50 grind.

+1 to the Zakuri for him.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]