It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:48 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 50 of 59 [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 59  Next
 Post subject: Re: Exclusive Forum Only Sales
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:00 pm 

The Imanishi is a soaker. You can get the Shapton Pro 320 for just $2 more and is splash-n-go and a is a very good stone. The Shaptone Glass is a very good stone in that range for the same price as the Imanishi.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:21 pm 

I've already got the dmt duo plate with 600 on one side and 1200 grit on the other. So if it need to go to a coarser grit for any reason I could use that. The green brick was my first stone and it's really nice to use compared to the Dmt. The shapton 1500 is too close to the green brick I think. It would make sense to me to get a 4, 5 or 6k to round out my grits.

And I have stroping compounds in 3, 1.5, 1, 0.5, and 0.25 micron.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

salemj wrote:One more question, Mark: Is the Imanishi a long soaker, short soaker, or splash and go? This was the only thing holding me back from putting it on the the list after your previous mentions of it—I want a splash and go or short soaker (otherwise the Bester would be on the list, too!).

Jeff is right. It requires a soak of about 10 minutes. The shaptons are splash and go even at the lower grits which is kind of unusual.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:04 am 

How do these compare to a shapton gs1k in terms of hardness, cutting speed, slurry generation, etc?

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:18 pm 

If only i had enough posts :cry:

All good though i will get there eventually :)

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:14 pm 

nice stone and a good deal, sadly the place in the line that i dont need more

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:40 pm 

My Shapton 1.5k showed up today and I put it to work immediately slightly thinning and sharpening a Henckels I picked up from a coworker.

My initial reaction is very favorable. The stone gave me fantastic feedback, cut extremely quickly, and was joyfully quick to work with. I was moving a lot of steel and it did stick a bit, but the stone only needed a quick rinse to clean for further use. I'm going to play with it a bit more in the next few days, but I'm thinking I need some of this stone's siblings in my closet.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:14 pm 

My heart cannot wait to get to 100 but my wallet says slow down on the posts dude. Good thing I stopped paying attention to that lousy wallet.

Jamie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:03 pm 

Perhaps Mark could "weight" the value of the posts... Two points for every data-rich-dense-with-stunning information post and 1/2 point for every dumb question post. Wait--it would take me twice as long!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

This is not a forum exclusive but I thought I would draw your attention to this deal I'm doing. Basically I ordered way too many of these Fujiwara 270mm Stainless gyutos so I figured I would slash and burn them: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fufkmgy27.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 50 of 59 [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 59  Next