It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:05 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: My first Japanese knife...help please
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:15 pm 

I am an avid home cook. I have a few OK knives (Shun, Sabatier....) but it's time to step up and see what a good Japanese knife can do for me...and I can do with it ;)
I cook and cater a lot so it will be used as much as anyone does in a home environment.
First off ......a nice Gyuto. Probably 240?
My goto right now is a Shun Reserve Chef 8". But I think I want something longer, thinner and certainly lighter.
I want to end up with a nice and sensible complement of usable knives. No interest in becoming a "collector".....at this time!!!!!!

1. Are you right handed? - YES
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) - GYOTO
3. What size knife are you looking for? - 240
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? - I live near the ocean so semi or full SS is preferred.
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? - JAPANESE
6. How much did you want to spend? - about $200-$250.
7. Do you know how to sharpen? - Learning, I have he CKTG basic 3 stone kit and I'm getting the feel of it.

Other considerations....
I admit that I do like a good looker (Damascus etc!)....also fit and finish are important attributes. Not to the detriment of performance though.
I use 20x15 end grain BOOS Blocks.
I cook with a lot of vegetables and fish. Meat yes...but not as much.
I have pretty good knife skills.

Some of the knives I have seen mentioned on the forum are.....

Richmond Laser Aogami Super 240mm Gyuto
Konosuke HD2 Gyuto Ho 240mm
Masakage Yuki Gyuto 240mm
Konosuke HH Stainless Wa-Gyuto 240mm

Thoughts and and other suggestions would be really appreciated.
Mahalo and aloha!

Post subject: Re: My first Japanese knife...help please
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:03 am 

out of the ones you have listed, i'd choose one of the Konosukes. You said you'd prefer a semi or full stainless knife and both the Yuki and Laser AS have carbon steel cores that will be reactive. I recently purchased the HD2 Konosuke, and it is a pure laser beast. I use it in a professional setting, and it shines. The HD2 blend is semi-stainless so it will patina(a light grey color) but is far less reactive than Aogami Super or White #2. If a full stainless knife is what you want, go Kono HH. The grind and profile should be the same or very similar to the HD2 while being a full stainless swedish steel blade.

Knife Experience:
150mm Hiromoto petty
9" New West Knife Works Chef's
270mm Kohetsu AS Gyuto
150mm Masakage Yuki Honesuki
8 and 10" Wusthof Classics
Crappy Mercer culinary school knives

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:39 am 

That is a strong list! As Pnk said, the Yuki and Laser are carbon core. The Richmond laser is also offered in AEB-L which should perform very on par with the Kono HH steel. If you are open to stainless clad, carbon core, you should also consider the Anryu Hammered, awesome knife.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:20 am 

That's a great list of knives, and honestly you can't go wrong with any of them you have picked out. With that being said my choice of that list would be Konosuke. The HD2 and HH are the same knife just different steel. The HD2 is semi stainless and the HH is full stainless. There both fantastic.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:34 am 

Konosuke HH Stainless will serve you well.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:13 am 

cedarhouse wrote:The Richmond laser is also offered in AEB-L which should perform very on par with the Kono HH steel.

Agreed. I'm buying into the idea that HH is AEB-L or a close relative treated optimally. The Konosukes have a lovely, dextrous grind, and feel like a much smaller knife in the hand (in a good way). I wouldn't vote against the Laser, though. I've only heard good things about them.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:57 pm 

The Richmond Laser was my first and still indispensable. Looks, performance, value... It's the whole package. That being said, and with more experience, I would unquestionably buy the HD2. Make mine a 270.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:38 pm 

I have the Richmond Laser in the 210MM size, AEB-L stainless swedish steel. Fairly easy to sharpen, thin and light.
The 240MM is in stock and right at your price point.

The Konosuke HH is highly regarded in this forum, the ones currently in stock have a nice bubinga handle make by Isiah Shroder

The Konsuke HD2 gives you slightly better performance in a semi stainless, so some extra care is required.

If you want a little more "bling" factor the Anryu hammered 240 is a real looker, and performer
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kaanasgy24.html
stainless clad over Aogami steel core, should be a dream to sharpen and killer performance.

Decide what is most important to you and make your choice. As of this post all suggestions were in stock.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:54 pm 

Any of those knives should blow the Sun out of the water...hehehe and probably make you want to toss it into the ocean. Blue #2 Anryu would be pretty spectacular. Have fun let us know how it goes. I don't think you can go wrong with anything on the list.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:27 pm 

Many thanks for all the input.
The Anryu has had 3 votes so far and I must admit I'm attracted by the bling factor as well as the very positive video posted on the site.
Is there any particular area where the Anryu, Kono HH or HD2 will differ?
The Kono's especially the HD2 are constantly noted for how light they are.
Also what performance difference will I see between the HH and HD2?
Any other suggestions before I make my final decision?
Mahalo and Aloha!

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next