It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:11 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 7 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Suggestions for a Forum Stone Deal?
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:28 am 

I already cast a vote also for a finishing stone like the Chosera 10k or Snow White. But a Atoma 140 would be real nice too. With that being said a stone that many people haven't tried would also be nice, as you get a chance to buy something you normally wouldn't buy, due to the great forum sale price it's worth taking a chance on a less popular stone.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:02 am 

400 ish range here....of course I could use a 15k for razors too....

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:52 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a little torn between offering you guys something new or not tried very much vs something many of you own but gets recommended over and over again. It's always amazing to me how afraid people are to try new stuff but I don't want to force it on you. Let me keep mulling it over and I'll try and put something up soon.

Here are some new or never discussed stones we carry that I think would be good options.

This Imanishi 400 is really good and I think you guys would enjoy it. Nobody talks about it since very few people own it. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ri400grwast.html

This Nubatama 2k Speckeled is a new stone that very few of you guys have tried. It's nice and works really well as a one stone solution leaving a very nice working edge. I think it would be a fun one to try: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nusp2k.html

The Shapton Pro 1.5 stone is another really good one that was mentioned and I like this idea. The 2k is excellent too. I think they would be excellent choices for this promotion and I'm leaning toward them since they got several votes. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shaptonpro1.html

I'm going to rule out the Atomas for this promotion because I have something interesting planned later this summer. I'll talk about this idea later when we're getting closer.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:06 pm 

The new speckled Ume sounds cool.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:15 pm 

I read somwhere - possibly a woodworking site - that the Shapton 1.5k was formulated specifically for stainless steels. Can anyone here positively confirm or deny that claim?

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:22 pm 

seabell wrote:I read somwhere - possibly a woodworking site - that the Shapton 1.5k was formulated specifically for stainless steels. Can anyone here positively confirm or deny that claim?

It's the other way around. The 1500 is formulated for carbon steels.

http://jendeindustries.wordpress.com/20 ... ss-series/

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:27 pm 

These all sound great! I think I'd go for any of them. I like the idea of something above 1k (such as 1.5 or 2k) to allow more people to try shortening the leaps in their standard progressions between their "toothy" edge and their 4, 5, or 6k stones—I bet this would produce some informative reviews from a few more "non-expert" sharpeners who do not regularly use 4+ stone progressions. Of course, the 400 grit is also very intriguing. Very exciting!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:37 pm 

Thanks for clarifying that, Rick. I use my 1k for all steels, and can't say I've noticed that it is less effective on the carbons. Probably just because I haven't reached that level of 'enlightenment'...

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:58 pm 

I'd be interested in something like a 10K.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:08 pm 
Site Admin

seabell wrote:Thanks for clarifying that, Rick. I use my 1k for all steels, and can't say I've noticed that it is less effective on the carbons. Probably just because I haven't reached that level of 'enlightenment'...

Me either. I think it's just a creative way to market them.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 4 of 7 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next