It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:17 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Takamura knives are the real thing?
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

I did a google search and another knife dealer indicated they were the only official authorized importer and distributor of these knives in the U.S. If so, how can I be sure I would be getting the real thing if I bought from your site?

-thanks
Flint

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Takamura knives are the real thing?
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:03 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Flint,

It's best to ask the people we do business with. So I posted your question on our forum so my customers could respond.

Kind Regards,
Mark Richmond

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:15 pm 

Well, the Takamura I have is indeed the real thing.
LOVE it
Great service
great blade
excellent bladesmith

Also some online retailers don't keep up with competition or update their webpages, I'm sure at one time someone was the only dealer in this or that throughout the ages.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:08 pm 

Everything Nmiller said is true. At one point that other distributor may have had an exclusive, but exclusives don't last forever.

As for the knife, the 210 Takamura gyuto I got from Chef Knives To Go is my favourite knife. I am just a home cook with several well-regarded Japanese knives so far and I plan to get more, but I don't see how a chef's knife can perform much better than my Takamura. Super thin, super light, great fit and finish, crazy sharp right out of the box, holds its edge forever. This is a true "laser" type knife in every respect. I'd like to see the same knife in 240, and maybe a 270 or 300 Suji as well some day.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:35 pm 

I feel there are two parts to Flint's question. The first part of the question is if the other retailer's claim of exclusivity is accurate. I would think that answer should come from CKTG. If in fact they are an authorized retailer (which is my assumption) than the second question is moot and all additional discussion unnecessary.

The second question implies grey market and I'm not sure that is the correct context to be discussing. Maybe I'm wrong though.

The feedback being provided is that the quality is first quality, which like most everyone who has done business here is the norm and can be expected.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

I'll answer the first question with a photo of me standing in Takamura's workshop in 2 weeks.... :) I'm pretty sure Takamura san will vouch for me. I'll give my competitor the benefit of the doubt and assume that they are totally ignorant to my existence and my sales relationship with Takamura. Otherwise they're just lying to this poor guy and trying to scare him into thinking they are the only game in the USA and I doubt that is the case.

If they're like us, I'm sure they're busy and don't spend a lot of time looking at the competitors.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:49 pm 

I cannot speak for the relationship between CKTG and Takamura, nor for that matter the Takamua knife more generally as I do not own one. But Mark and CKTG have been wonderful to do business with in my experience and I believe you can buy with confidence.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:10 pm 

i first saw takamura at MTC Kitchen, which i dont consider a competitor for Mark. knives are not the focus of their business, but they´ve carried the takamura line for a few years, but as Mark says, They probably havent updated their webpage. Takamura is a family company, but they know about distribution, etc. Thats why people like Ramsay and Redzepi use their knives. they wouldnt ship to mark if he were unauthorized.

MTC used to carry the HSPS line with R2 steel and black bolster, but they started getting shipments to theiir stores with thinner knives and red bolster and sold them at the same price. After a few complaints, they separated the lines and charged different prices, a lot of people overpaid for their knives, the blacks are now known as HSPS pro and the red as HSPS. CKtG carries the former as R2 Migaki.

And yes MTC claims in their web they are the only authorized importer and distributor in the us. but they claim the same of Masamoto.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:03 pm 

fausto wrote: ....but they claim the same of Masamoto.

Tells you all you need to know right there.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:30 pm 

I didn't buy a Takamura but the Kikuichi I bought from CKTG is definitely authentic.

I think you can rest assured. This is a quality business.

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next