It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:50 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Masakage Shimo 240 Gyuto
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:48 pm 

One other question on this knife is one side of the blade appeared to have a longer grind on the edge than the other. Is that normal? The angle was about 18.7 degrees as noted on my cube measured off the edge-pro using the sharpie method to determine the original angle. Does this sound about right??

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

These are hand made knives. Asymmetric grinds are not uncommon.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:23 am 

On Future grinds do I follow the asymmetrical grind or do I put in even grind on both sides

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:22 am 

That's your decision. If you notice any steering, you can bring the blade back toward symmetrical. If you wished you might even it out intentionally. But if you don't notice the knife veering off course, there's no reason you need to move it.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:59 pm 

Lepus wrote:That's your decision. If you notice any steering, you can bring the blade back toward symmetrical. If you wished you might even it out intentionally. But if you don't notice the knife veering off course, there's no reason you need to move it.

Thank you. Since I will be grinding these things shortly as I am cutting up a storm, I will even out the side to side gring.

Does the 18.7 degree angle sound right??

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:19 am 

Is that inclusive or per side. Japanese cutlery is often somewhere between 20°-30° inclusive.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:35 am 

cedarhouse wrote:Is that inclusive or per side. Japanese cutlery is often somewhere between 20°-30° inclusive.

That is what the cube noted as zeroed along the flat side, including the blue painters tape, of the holder on the Apex IV and then placed the cube along the top of the inserted stone. The readout was 18.7. However, I do not know if there is a inclusive format on the cube or not or which format, if options exist, the cube defaults to. I will have to check with a protractor.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:07 am 

That would be per side. You could easily bring the knife in to a more narrow angle if you wished, but again, if you are getting good performance, it's not required.

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2