It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:33 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Suggestions for a 270 Gyuto or ??
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:22 am 

Thanks to this board and CKTG I am the proud owner of a Shimo 240 Gyuto, 150 Shimo Petty and a 270 Kono HH Suji. (I will be reviewing the Petty and the HH soon). My honest issue is I fell in love with the picture of the Konosuke Fujiyama Blue #2 http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kofubl2gy27.html which is priced accordingly to it's beauty and undoubted quality. Fortunately for me, or at least my wallet, it is out of stock at this time. I am sure many can attest to the costly nature of internet dating with CKTG as the facilitator but based on the postings here the new relationships appear to almost always work out fine. This leads to the age old question of Ginger or Mary Ann??.... as it applies to the myriad of knives on this wonderful site. I have decided I want both along with Mrs. Howell to boot. Okay, maybe not Mrs. Howell but her younger, better looking and richer sister who hopefully is blind in at least one eye.

With that said, I am now thinking a 270 Gyuto or similar all around knife would go beautifully with this trio as often times there are two folks cooking in my kitchen. (I will up my liability insurance policy) Though I am by no means a Professional I do appreciate and prefer great (Not just good) tools. I do realize there are many times the right tool is not the most expensive but I am also aware many times the right tool does go deep into the pocketbook. I certainly do appreciate a good or great deal when purchasing but not at the expense of the right tool. In my case what would you folks recommend regardless if it is in stock at this moment or not as I am more than willing to wait and save my pennies in my Sparkletts bottle. As a note: I am not limited by space as my prep and cooking areas are more than sufficiently large. My Cutting boards (To be reviewed with pictures on another post) are up to 22 X 24 in size of which I have two.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Jamie

Post subject: Re: Suggestions for a 270 Gyuto or ??
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:45 am 

Jamie - What's wrong with the knife that you fell in love with and linked to in your post? You can't go wrong with that sexy girl. She's got the looks of Ginger and isn't afraid to get dirty and go to work like Mary Ann. I feel you answered your own question on this one considering you seem to be ok with spending to get top quality.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:06 am 

check out the 270mm Kono fuji white #2. was lucky and picked up one with no handle. F&F is excellent. love the rounded spine and choil. OOTB sharpness is very good. Was sticking to my board when was slicing tomatoes

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:04 pm 

snipes wrote:Jamie - What's wrong with the knife that you fell in love with and linked to in your post? You can't go wrong with that sexy girl. She's got the looks of Ginger and isn't afraid to get dirty and go to work like Mary Ann. I feel you answered your own question on this one considering you seem to be ok with spending to get top quality.

I suppose I have a bit of "Slut" in me in that I need to get my Ya Ya's out and try different girls.... or in this case different smiths, steels, etc. so I can settle down, be happy and have lots of little knives knowing I have tried the best. Just having my J-K cherry broken life seems so much more enticing so this may also be contributing to this overwhelming need to wander... Snipes, you may be right. That girl in the picture is beautiful but I am hoping this board can let me know if her dad is rich and has a fishing boat or if there is another slim young thing I should be fondling.

Jamie

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:51 pm 

stevonyc34 wrote:check out the 270mm Kono fuji white #2. was lucky and picked up one with no handle. F&F is excellent. love the rounded spine and choil. OOTB sharpness is very good. Was sticking to my board when was slicing tomatoes

I looked at this knife but perhaps the picture does not do it justice. I really like the look of the other pictures with the ebony and blond handle/ferule combination. Some of the other pics seem to show the blade polished as well. Maybe just my imagination.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:00 pm 

The CKtG handles of wenge and maple mimic the Kono ebony and are even nicer IMO.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:37 pm 

Might be worth waiting to see which Kono Fuji's are sitting in Dave's office. I believe they should be hitting the site in the next week or 2
I'm hoping for a 240/270 kurouchi gyuto. The kurouchi santoku is just sexy, but red heads(santoku's) aren't my thing ;)

If you can't wait, here's my list of gyuto's I think every jk enthusiast should at least try once:
a Takeda
True laser - kono HD, Yusuke, AEB-L laser, etc.
Work horse - Kanehiro, Goko W#1, Shiro Kamo, etc.
Scary thin edge - Richmond laser, Yuki, Kono Fuji, etc. (haven't handled the Shimo, might fall into this category)
Top shelf - Teruyasa Fujiwara, Suogo Yamatsuka/Hirotsugu Tosa(Takayuki Damascus and Ginsan), Keijiro Doi, Kiyoshi Kato, etc.
A true Honyaki

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:22 am 
Forum Moderator

MARK <> Ummm... who is this Dave you keep posting about. Please tell me this isn't some sarcastic joke.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:34 am 

There is little doubt it is the high and distinct shinogi line of the Blue # 2 Kono Fuji which is turning me on. The white series seem to be more muted and perhaps less polished. Hopefully someone here can let me know about these two items as it applies to the whites vs. blue # 2. I am going to have to figure what the value is of having a girl with such a short skirt.... Hmmmmm Shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

Jamie

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]