It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:10 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Workhorse.
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:45 pm 

1. Are you right handed? Yes
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) Gyuto
3. What size knife are you looking for? 240
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? Either
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? No pref
6. How much did you want to spend? 400 would be my limit
7. Do you know how to sharpen? yes

Basically I'm looking for a workhorse. I'm currently working the line 30-40 hrs/week at my primary job and doing prep work 8-16 hrs/week at my second job. Generally one day a week involves working both jobs. I'm looking for something that can handle this. I am generally not a fan of thicker knives. I havent used one in close to six years though, and there are many more options and more attention to construction in general now. So, I'm leaving it nearly wide open. Only thing I require is it not be blingy.

Post subject: Re: Workhorse.
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'll edit in my reasoning later, but the Kanehiro AS <-- link & Anryu B#2 <-- link are my strong recommendations:

Pictured 210, but we're talking 240:

I voice a lot of pertinent opinion here: workhorse-that-will-hold-the-edge-t5269.html?hilit=Kanehiro%20AS

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:46 pm 

+ 1 on the Anryu. i really like the handle. feels good in the hand. F&F is really good. Both knives are excellent. i also have the kanehiro AS but the 210 version.
i prefer the hammered look of the Anryu over the nashiji finish of the kanehiro.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:20 pm 

I love my Anryu. I also like my Goko Wt#1, though in a commercial setting edge retention might be an issue. I also like the Kohetsu Aogami Super in 240. The Kohetsu is a bit on the lighter/thinner side of a workhorse but it is not a laser (the Kohetsu 210 is a laser).

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:24 pm 

Let us know how it works out. I think the sweet spot of workhorse knives should include a 3.0mm spine or greater. I think the Anryu would be pretty sweet and leave you some money left over for a stone...I'd get an Aoto and enjoy a workingmans edge. Aoto's and carbon steel japanese knives just seem right to me.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:25 pm 

If I were to pick one knife for under 400 dollars it would certainly be the kanehiro as. Impeccable craftsmanship with a first class steel designed for a lifetime of use. The higher price point focuses on the quality of the instrument instead of superfluous aesthetics of the knife, making it even more beautiful in my eyes.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:41 am 

Jmcnelly85...I think it is not appropriate to denounce the Anryu as being more concerned about cosmetics than metallurgy...That's just not true. Both are artisan producers who give the buyer a choice...Either knife will work wonderfully.

Neither knife will serve a lifetime of use. Both will eventually bio-degrade :) I do believe the choices are both fine and will leave the user completely satisfied.

The hammered finished knife will eventually not be able to be sharpened down as much as the Kanehiro but that would be a very long time...

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:13 am 

Umberto, I understand your sentiments; however, I would like to clarify that I made my recommendation as a stand alone suggestion without picking on any particular knife. The anryu is a fantastic knife that happens to be gorgeous and in no way am I singling out that knife. That being said, there are many knives that are heirloom knives because the material outlives its owner to get passed on to the next generation. The site offers a wide variety of knives, some of which are showpieces, and others are utilitarian tools. The details I spoke of were in reference to the specifications of the post. If you do wind up with the anryu, you will wind up with one hell of a knife, but at your budget, the kanehiro gets my vote.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:11 pm 

Umberto wrote:Jmcnelly85...I think it is not appropriate to denounce the Anryu as being more concerned about cosmetics than metallurgy...That's just not true. Both are artisan producers who give the buyer a choice...Either knife will work wonderfully.
Neither knife will serve a lifetime of use. Both will eventually bio-degrade :) I do believe the choices are both fine and will leave the user completely satisfied.
The hammered finished knife will eventually not be able to be sharpened down as much as the Kanehiro but that would be a very long time...

Being a little testy aren't we. :evil:

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:35 pm 

Thank you for the input fellows, I have some more time to figure this out since I have had a couple lean weeks and need to buy a new mid grit stone at the moment.

Umberto reminds me of a story about "the young bull and the old bull" sometimes.

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next