It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:20 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Why do I need a Moritaka KS 250???
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:57 pm 

What's this "need" thing you speak of?

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah - when I said "something else", I mean something else from CKTG, of course :-).

ScarymanMB - based on what you own, I'd look at a true laser 240 like the Kono HD 240 Gyuto (In-stock right now :-)) or maybe even a little taller example of the Ikeda AS KS style Damascus 250 Gyuto. My video example was extra short, but I get the feeling most are taller than mine. It's a beautiful knife that's thin where it counts. I don't know when they'll be in stock, though.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:28 pm 

The price is so very right...that's why. I would have bought one but I did not see the sale. I might get one next week if they still remain in stock then I will officially be done with Gyutos for awhile.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:06 pm 

Jeff B wrote:What's this "need" thing you speak of?

The "need" thing is my justification. It is based on a very, very loose definition of need. More along the lines of should I get one, please give me a good reason. For that matter a not so good reason to get one will work. Pretty please, push me off the fence.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:26 am 

The reason is that you'll make me sick with envy because I really want one but can't afford it just now.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:54 am 

Because it's a badass knife for the money, what better reason do you "need". :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:17 am 

If three of your knife savvy friends visit you, how will you have fair carrot cutting competitions? You need this knife so everyone can have a nice Japanese knife.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:03 am 

Every one of the forum deals have been fantastic offers. I applaud Mark for his out of the box thinking.
Since I am not in the trade, my "needs" are totally different than you guys on the line.
I already have two 240MM Gyutos, One was a forum deal the Goko White #1, the other an original Richmond Addict in CPM 154
Not to mention two 10 inch carbon Wearever Professionals, and a stainless 10 inch Wearever Pro
And by the way, the carbon Wearevers I have will hold their own against my Gyutos in terms of performance.
So for me, 5 is enough, I would have to sell at least one I already own before I could justify buying another.
Price alone just not justify the purchase, as the buyer you have to fill in the more blanks such as the type of steel, the profile, blade height and blade thinness.
I just bought the Konsuke HD 150MM petty, not on sale, not waiting till Mark puts it on forum special, I bought it because the only other 150MM petty I own is a rather
inexpensive VG10 Seto which my wife really likes, so I wanted my own. Highly recommended in the forum, now that I have it I see why. Looking forward to using it.

My 2 cents, If anyone can identify 2 other reasons besides "its a great deal" to purchase anything from CKTG, then go for it.
Otherwise, hold off and let other members have a chance.
I think Mark is going to offer a stone next forum special. Even though I have enough of them, if the one offered is not a brand I already own, then I could say well
here is a great way to try this stone out. So I would participate.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:56 pm 

Lepus is right. It's only fair to your friends when you're having carrot cutting competitions.

I think we've redefined the term enablers!

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2