It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:30 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Forum rules

This is the forum to announce your sharpening promotions, write about new products you've tested, and show off your skills.
You can post your prices, link your Facebook and YouTube page, contact information, etc...

You can post 1 sales thread and bump it all you want and add new promotions to it.

To apply for your own subforum, PM any of the mods here on the board, they are free!

Page 2 of 11 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spending time with my friend, 52100 :)
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

Sounds like your buyers will be getting very nicely treated steel :-).

BTW, I like the look of those smaller blades. Are you considering making some of those style knives?

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well without a lot of buyer feedback on my personal heat treat I want to give people some kind of reassurance before buying.

I will be finishing a batch of these knives soon, working on them as we speak! :D

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:16 pm 
Forum Moderator

Sweet! Thanks for the insight into your processes. I hope it encourages people to more appreciate the art & science that goes into knife making.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:40 pm 

Excellent write up of the process! Really enjoyed reading all of it.

Impressive video test as well.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:27 am 

You just need to hurry up and make some shit we can buy! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:41 am 
Forum Moderator

Nothing good is ever done in a hurry. (don't answer that) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Glad you enjoyed the reading. Most of this info is available online with just a little bit of digging, some of it shared.

I do hope to do this with every steel that I work with in the future so you all can see what I'm doing to fine tune things.

Tonight I triple-quenched a blade just to see if there's any improvement. I'm leaving this one a little bit harder than the last one, so it's going to be a pain to grind but should take a steeper edge. We shall see what happens after I grind it; Still needs 2 more temper cycles, only did a snap temper tonight. More to come!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:39 pm 
Forum Moderator

Finishing up other work today, update as soon as I get done and start grinding again. Till then, stay sh---.... you know the drill. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

Hey guys I'm back.

Sorry I had to lock the topic for a while: Life threw a little too much at me in the middle of all of this and the constant questions were becoming a bit too much. Since then I've still been grinding, heat treating and testing like crazy. After having broke enough blades, I am confident in the heat treating process that I've settled on.

All blades get normalized starting at 1600, 1500, 1450, 1350, then 1250. After 1250 and air cool to black it gets the final quench. Soak at 1525 for 15-20 minutes and quench in 140 degree oil. Oil needs to be hot and the knife needs to be point down, moving back and forth not side to side. Do this right and no warpage. Do this wrong and the blade will warp. Sounds simple right? :)

After quench it gets double tempered at 375, 2 hour cycles each with complete cool-down in between cycles. After this you have a blade with good hardness and toughness. I've tempered blades for only 2 hours and it isn't the same. Some people use 3 -1 hour cycles, some do 2 - 2 hour cycles. Both methods work great, but I think the bottom line is that you get at least 3 hours of temper on the blade with at least 1 cool down in between. It is this fine point in tempering that determines if a blade will micro-chip or not, even if you are using the right temperature. You can get a blade to the right temp, and will be tough and not crack, but it is when you put a fine edge on it that you will know if it needs more tempering or not.

Going to hunt down a few pics real fast for ya'll.

I'd like to credit Josh Dabney for helping me out, he's a great guy. A good bit of the information that I've learned came from him and Kevin Cashen (via website) as well, and you can get a good read on metallurgy from his site here. http://www.cashenblades.com/info.html A combination of several knife forums and this site have really helped more than I ever could have imagined, but nothing can make up for testing it yourself. I am now able to confidently sell these blades and know someone is getting a great piece of steel. This stuff takes and exceptional edge and really does hold it well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

Handle shots and random shots of things I've been working on. These knives will be available on the site sometime next week and I will get a video done with them as well. :)

(ps. most of the shots you see are of blades that are not yet finished, just more or less something for you guys to look at.)

Attachments:
003.jpg
003.jpg [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 222 times ]
008.jpg
008.jpg [ 1 MiB | Viewed 222 times ]
002.jpg
002.jpg [ 968.33 KiB | Viewed 222 times ]
001.jpg
001.jpg [ 1.04 MiB | Viewed 222 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:35 pm 
Forum Moderator

Here's the first 3 about to ship. This shot is of the blades before polishing, the blades still needed more finishing as well as the handles. Final shots and video in a day or 2.

Normally what I do is heat treat, grind until thin, partially finish blade, then do the handle, then finish the whole package. This ensures a clean finish on both the handle and blade before it ships without any wasted steps in between. I could finish the blade completely before handling, but the inherent dangers of handling a knife can lead to dings in the finish, even if you protect the blade very well, so I find it easier to just sand out any imperfections in the final sanding and spine rounding before final polish.

Attachments:
019.jpg
019.jpg [ 1015.15 KiB | Viewed 208 times ]

Page 2 of 11 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next