It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:58 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Newbie considering 240mm Gyuto (feedback?)
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:00 pm 

1. Are you right handed?
Yes
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..)
Gyuto
3. What size knife are you looking for?
240mm
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel?
Semi-stainless is what I want to try out but I guess prefer stainless over carbon
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle?
I guess I prefer Japanese handles but I am unsure since I have been using Globals with their unique handle style for the past 7 years or so.
6. How much did you want to spend?
I was looking at the Konosuke HD2 very strongly so up to that price range
7. Do you know how to sharpen?
I do not. There is a very nice one man shop in San Francisco where I live and I expect to be using him. He does teaching sharpening classes but I am not sure if I would be able to commit to it with my current work/life schedule

So for background, I've been thinking about stepping up in terms of what I use in the kitchen and have been lurking on these forums on and off for the past few months. I would probably rate myself at best as average in terms of knife skill. I have always used 8 inch chef knives or smaller but have been interested in stepping up in length.

I most often cook for 2-4 people but like to host once in a while for 10-20 where I do the majority of the cooking and heard the longer length can be helpful for those types of larger jobs. The quality of knives I've been using for a while now hasn't been great. I've had a Wustohoff Classic Santoku for 10 years or so and started to pick up a small amount of Globals around 7 years ago. My current main knife is a Global 8 inch G61.

I use a pinch grip, like the light weight of Globals, and find their unique handles to be suited for my grip and hand size. Goals for me are to test using a longer length (240mm), I'm interested in semi-stainless because I probably won't be able to keep up the maintenance of a carbon, and I was looking at lasers because users had mentioned their light weight. I understand I could have purchased a cheap Tojiro DP 240mm to test out how much liked the increased length. I had actually gifted a Tojiro Flash 8 inch to my roommate as a birthday gift but also with intention to test out his knife and found that I didn't like the weight of Tojiro's.

My research perked some interest in getting a Konosuke HD type knife.
I was interested in purchasing a Richmond Addict SLD but they've been out of stock and have instead been considering buying Konosuke HD2 240mm Gyuto since they just came back in stock. I would loved some experienced feed back.

Is this too much knife for me to start-off with?
Should I be looking at other brands?
I am unsure of my comfort level with Japanese style octagonal handle. Just don't have much exp with it. Is it difficult/expensive to get a knife re-handled?

Thanks for all your help and sorry for the wall of text.

Post subject: Re: Newbie considering 240mm Gyuto (feedback?)
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:24 pm 

Trust your instinct. Get the Kono. After 5 minutes western handles will seem clunky to you. And your Globals will sit unused.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:50 pm 

The western handles will seem heavy to you since you are used to lighter knives. The Konosuke is a good choice. And as already stated...you won't even want to touch your Globals again. Get your pocketbook ready. This forum is going to cost you some money. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:16 am 

I have the Addict SLD by Kono and I just opened my HD 240mm this afternoon and made dinner with it. If you don't think you want a Kono, reassess your thought process. If you think you might want one....why are you here? :D

Run don't walk. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200. Here, I'll even give you a link: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohdwa24.html ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:25 am 

cedarhouse wrote:I have the Addict SLD by Kono and I just opened my HD 240mm this afternoon and made dinner with it. If you don't think you want a Kono, reassess your thought process. If you think you might want one....why are you here? :D

Run don't walk. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200. Here, I'll even give you a link: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohdwa24.html ;)

I concur, I got mine yesterday and put it through a day of professional prep work. Wow! This nice is amazing, pick one up now!!

Knife Experience:
150mm Hiromoto petty
9" New West Knife Works Chef's
270mm Kohetsu AS Gyuto
150mm Masakage Yuki Honesuki
8 and 10" Wusthof Classics
Crappy Mercer culinary school knives

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:20 am 
Forum Moderator

Ugly, listen to Cedar. That Kono is one of the best laser style Gyutos on the planet. You're ahead of the game for a Wa handle already using a pinch grip. Just do it before they sell out. Get this strop set to maintain the edge between when you get it sharpened: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/2piecestropset.html

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:22 am 

I love my Konos too. It is one of those knives that is not inherently the best for everything, but it is so good, and so fun to use, that you adapt your technique so that you can do everything with it anyway.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:48 pm 

Now you guys have me thinking about one too!!!! Argh!!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:34 pm 

Thanks for all the feedback. I've actually put in an order for the Kono now. Is the strop a better option than ceramic sharpen steel? I've been use that sharpen steel on my Globals but after you mentioned the strop I did some research on Zknives. Realized that I may have been using my sharpen steel poorly and he seems to like strops more for softer knives? I got the sense that the HRC on this knife would be greater than the 58-61 of my Globals?

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

UGLY <> First of all your Globals are NOWHERE near 58-61 which, in of itself, is a HUMONGOUS range. Your Circle-Files are closer to 56-57, and will benefit from a steel or ceramic rod due to their soft steel.

Your hard steel Kono IS Hrc61, and will be affected by only a ceramic steel... not a steel rod. The negatives of a rod are that even a smooth ceramic is only approximately a 1200 grit, and furthermore, the margin for error amid usage of a rod is quite small until you deform your edge more than true it. Strops are really the way to go if you care about your knives, and not only do they offer proper maintenance, but also the versatility to further refine your edges right off the stones.

Skip the honing rod, and go with a strop set<-- link; it's double duty. They allow refinement beyond your stones in less expensive options, and they work to true your blade as a honing rod would but w/o degrading your high grit finishes.

If you don't have a lapping plate for your stones yet, get this set<-- link with this compound<-- link instead.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next