It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:36 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Over Stropping???
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:53 pm 

I would like to start off by thanking Mark, Eamon, and the other members of this forum for giving me great advice and for sharing their knowledge of sharping. That said I would like to go back to that well of knowledge.

I have been playing around with stropping, having never used the process before, and was wondering if there is a point of over-stropping. I have several stopping substrates that I have made myself (rough-leather on 1/4 plywood, balsa wood, felt on 1/4 plywood and smooth-leather on 1/4 plywood) and use with .5micron HA spray. I cycle though the substrates in the order listed above using the HA spray on each. I do notice a difference using stropping after my black arky, but am I reaching a point of diminished return cycling through all those different strops?

Post subject: Re: Over Stropping???
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:59 pm 
Forum Moderator

All you will ever need for a scary, screaming, shaving edge for all round kitchen cutting, is 1µ HA Boron Carbide on leather - it is faster than poly diamond and leaves a killer edge - try it.

:)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:21 pm 

Not really, because the grit isn't changing, and assuming you are coming off of a stone 3 microns or bigger(around 5k), stropping out the finish with .5micron spray would take eons.

There's really no need to go through all that though. You will end up with an edge indicative of the softest substrate used. So just use the smooth leather.

There is a concern over over-honing in straight razors, but that's a whole different problem with an entirely different context.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:17 am 
Forum Moderator

Your black Ark is ~ 3k grit so you are jumping to a .5 micron or 30k grit a 10x jump. It would be far more effective to use something inbetween, working your way up to the .5 mono diamond. Also the Ark stone wont be that effective on abrasion resistant steels.

Concerning the various substrates, they would make little difference at this grit level and doing it in a sequence is not worth doing it at all. It would be like trying several brands of aspirin. Far better to do a sequence of grits than a sequence of substrates. I could go into substrates later, but balsa is usually a cheap good choice in this grit range.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]