It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:53 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sharpening Guidance
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:49 pm 

Hi, everyone!

I've just seen most of the sharpening videos by Mark, and I have a few questions, that you hopefully can help sort out for me.

At the moment I have the following sharpening equipment: DMT DuoSharp - Coarse/Fine + stone bench, Spyderco Ultrafine Ceramic stone and Global Sharpening steel, which came with the set.

I've ordered a few knives from Mark and I would like to be able to take a good care of them; however I’m a bit confused with the following:

1. Do i need to flatten DuoSharp stones? I'm not quite sure how this could be done - they have an unequal surface. Can i do it with my second Spyderco stone?

2. I assume that the Spyderco stone does require flattening - if I should not do flattening with DuoStones - i would require 3rd stone for that purpose.

3. Global Sharpening steel - should i use it on quality knives? Isn't it ceramic rod that can remove metal and damage knife's edge?

4. I've seen the Grit chart and it looks like my stone can be classified as follows: DuoSharp coarse > DuoSharp fine > Spyderco ultrafine. The spyderco is the finest i have, which equals to about 5000 grit. Do you reckon I need finer stone - 6k, 8k, 10k?

Thanks in advance!

I just need to know how to use the equipment I already have and if there is anything that I’m missing.

Post subject: Re: Sharpening Guidance
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:16 pm 

Welcome back. Get ready for some expensive answers!

As far as your current progression goes, you will get a decent edge. Ceramics and diamond plates can give you okay results, but nothing matches real waterstones for consistency. Usually, people with your sort of setup replace stones from high grit down, using the diamond stones with waterstones following, as they obtain new equipment. The Global rod will be fairly kind to your edge, but it's really only good for touch ups. It will degrade the fine edge you're already producing. 5-6k grit is usually the finest edge advocated for kitchen knives. Beyond that, they break down too quickly. 10k is straight razor territory.

None of the equipment you have now needs flattening. Since waterstones are broken down in the process of sharpening, they may periodically need to be lapped. Unused sections of the stone will be taller as a result of disuse. Diamond and ceramic plates are not diminished at all in the process and as such need not be lapped.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:39 pm 

Thank you for your reply!

I do have a streight razor.

Could you please recommend two stones one somewhere about 4-5 grit and the second 8-10.

Something that would last long and economical.

I'm not sure i would actually feel the difference between 8 and 10

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:01 pm 

Im also in the market for a good 4-5 k stone, but I will vouch for the snow white 8k stone. It works very fast to leave a beautiful mirror finish at a reasonable price compared to other stones of this quality.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:29 pm 

I would go for shapton pros. They cut fast, dish slow and last for quite a while. Grab the 5k and strop there for kitchen knives. If your doing strait razors I would pick up the 15k rather than the 8k.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:37 am 

You can clean your UF spyderco with Bon ami or bar keepers friend and you will be good.
With some stropping maybe a black or white then finish with green you still should be able to get a mirror polish on your knife edge.

I've seen youtube where they went from reprofiling to mirror polish hair whittling edge with dmt course, extra fine, UF spyderco and strop. Jdavis used that setup for a while.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]