It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:44 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 4 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Global knives...
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:13 pm 

Shuns seem to be pretty common around here, I had a shun classic once. I prefer other knives.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:29 pm 
Forum Moderator

Dan_Crubenew wrote:"...Shun is better than Global in my experience."

I strongly agree.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:35 pm 

cedarhorse wrote: The one thing I think is genuine crap about Globals, hype excluded is the handles. I do not trust my grip on a hollow, polished, tube of steel when handling something sharp.

+1000

Dan_Crubenew wrote:"...Shun is better than Global in my experience."

Absolutely. Not that I am a big fan of Shuns. But, in the end, they are a fairly decent and consistent knife. I personally don't like the way they feel. But, they serve their purpose. My brother-in-law is a chef in NYC and I was up there this weekend. As Shun/Kai often does, he was able to purchase Shun knives through culinary school years ago. They discount the hell out of them to the culinary students. He still has them and uses many of them. Even though he has some other "better" knives as well. He has some Shun premier that actually felt pretty good overall. Much better than the Classics I have used in the past.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:55 pm 

Maybe that's why they all have shun. Pretty sure every person i with shun also went to culinary school

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:59 pm 

You have to admit...It's pretty smart at Shun's part. They are a marketing machine. Shoot...look at Microsoft. They rarely have the best product in any category but they still know how to market the heck out of it and it has served them well

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:17 am 

I just picked up a used santoku to replace our only shun. Going to use the shun as a loaner knife which I bought used and chipped for fifty bucks just to try one.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:06 am 
Forum Moderator

I'm OK with Shuns - they get bashed more than they deserve to get bashed. I consider Globals much worse - slightly better than Cutcos. I never cut a Global handle apart but I believe they are hollow and filled with sand. When the same steel is used for a handle and a blade, it almost has to be a compromise.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:55 am 

ken123 wrote:I'm OK with Shuns - they get bashed more than they deserve to get bashed. I consider Globals much worse - slightly better than Cutcos. I never cut a Global handle apart but I believe they are hollow and filled with sand. When the same steel is used for a handle and a blade, it almost has to be a compromise.

---
Ken

The sand is true, it is "to provide perfect balance" lol.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:24 pm 

First off I own two global knives this was before i knew any better ;) and second the handle and the blade are made of two different steels they are welded together . I also own 2 shun knives a 10" chef knife and a parer i only use the parer. and the only global i use is a 8 inch chef knife on the line this was a gift from my sister so im going to hang on to it for awhile so some time will pass and she will forget about it :twisted: . My new knives are the tanaka ginsan 240 ,goko white #1 240 and the kohetsu AS 210 from our friends mark and sue and there will be more added in the not to far future . Thanks for showing me the light CKTG and forum members . :D

Page 4 of 4 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4