It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:49 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Goko white #1 gyuto vs SAIUN Damascus Gyuto
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:24 pm 

I beat the snot out of a goko white #1 lol
50 pounds of winter squash, heck yes :D

It's good feels good in the hand, spine and choil WILL need rounding, a little bit of work to thin it but not too much and you'll have a beast of a blade, with a ugly handle.

Post subject: Re: Goko white #1 gyuto vs SAIUN Damascus Gyuto
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:58 am 

I've received the KANETSUGU siaun damascus 230mm gyuto.
Specifications: VG-10, 33layer damascus, 231mm long, 50mm high,2.35mm thick on the spine with a gentle taper.
My first impressions were:
-Pretty heavy
-Perfectly balanced for a pinch grip
-Great handle
-Amazing fit and finish, I couldn't find any flaws. (rounded choil and spine, gently rounded but more then enough to not feel anything annoying)
-Thin behind the edge
-Blade geometry is for chopping, push/pull cutting, not a rocking knife. (which is perfect for me since I almost never rock)
-Good/great grind (I can't tell if it's great since I don't fully understand what makes a great grind), food releases very easily and slides through food with no effort even with the OOTB edge.
-OOTB edge wasn't sharp, but because of the good/great grind it still cut better then my german knife that has been sharpened to shaving armhair sharp.
-Doesn't sharpen as easy as I expected but it's my first Japanese knife and first encounter with VG-10.
(-Good looks, came in a nice box)

Can't comment on edge holding yet as I have only used it for 3 days.
At the end of the week I'll give it a sharpening even if it doesn't need it yet just to find out what is possible.
If people want pictures I'll gladly post them, I just need to get my camera instead of a low light cell phone picture I have now.

Page 3 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3