It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:03 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: I think you should dump.....
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:45 am 
Site Admin

Yeah Jeff, all of the Kyocera stuff is being closed out. Many of the hand held sharpeners are going too. I'll keep a couple of them but there are too many.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:32 am 

Please, for the love of all things sharp, get rid of any carbide sharpeners you might carry! :P lol

I know a lot of people love them, but those little monsters are EVIL!

Ok... so maybe that's just my personal opinion... ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:27 am 

I was thinking I know they're readily available elsewhere, by why not stock some small kitchen towels or wiping cloths/rags specifically to wipe down knives while prepping?

A lot of these you find in stores are a mystery til you use them and realize they aren't very absorbent and just smear whatever liquid is on your blade around instead of removing it, or they're too absorbent and get soaking wet fast. Many don't hold up to constant washing and drying in the laundry(for home use, although I know, I know, they're cheap enough to toss frequently haha) and some fall apart too quickly just using them. And quantity can be an issue. Some only come in big industrial count packages, others not enough in a deal price.

So through some polling you can narrow it down to a few brands and types that people stand by and just carry those.

Just a thought. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:14 am 

I've used the Messer Elite and San Moritz series and agree they are the best of the Germans. Unfortunately the rest of the japanese offerings on CKTG are just better than any of the German knives. Tough decision to drop a nice line like Messermeister. If they're not selling though, they got to go. May have to change the name to JapaneseChefKnivesToGo. :P

I could see how the publicity of Shun, Mac and others direct traffic from search engines to the CKTG site. This could also hold true for the Global line...too bad they suck. How are the Dojos doing? With so many new offerings I don't see as many suggestions for dojo as an affordable alternative. I suppose the sales figures will determine that decision.

On the bright side, at least there aren't a shelf full of Calphalons collecting dust.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:09 am 

pjwoolw wrote:The Messermiester, the best of the German knives I've seen from a sharpening standpoint, beats the heck out of any standard production Henckels. Probably one of the best German knives nobody has heard of. I won't recommend a Henckels to anyone. Unfortunately most remember the Henckels name because the market is flooded with them.

+1

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:16 am 

Maybe dump the Global line so Melampus can relax when he's on this site... Kidding, kidding...

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:55 am 

I wouldn't drop the shun lines, simply because they will get you decent google hits, even if most of this forum hates them.

I would drop the majority of the handheld sharpeners

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:44 am 

Since Marc did decide to drop Messermeister, I'm highly tempted to pick a few up to stock up on gift fodder. They're the only German knife I would advocate owning; I'd take a Mercer over a Wusthof or a Henckels just for the price.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:08 pm 

I agree, I would not drop the shun lines, that is also how I found the site.

Of course, that may be a reason to drop it. It is all based on perspective.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:40 pm 

I have the 6 inch and 10 inch Messermeister San Moritz Elite chef knives. Same blade as the Meridian Elite, different handle.
I am sure nobody will believe me, but I got BOTH of them brand new in the box, for under $100! (not from CKTG)
I cashed in on the fact that most people think Wusthof and Henckels are the premium German blades...NOT!
My wife uses the 6 inch all the time. I pull out the 10 inch for jobs where I do not want to risk any damage to any of my thinner J knives, or sometimes just for the heck of it.
I touch them up now and then on the Green Brick, with some stropping afterward.
Glad to see Mark is heading in the right direction.

Page 2 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next