It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:55 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mac Bread Knife Repair
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:55 am 

A coworker surprised me today by showing up with a dated Mac Superior bread knife his father had found. It's seen a few years and has a few rust spots, but nothing that couldn't be fixed with a little love.

What disheartened me was the sharpening pattern. Someone had sharpened it as a single bevel knife, wearing down the scallops and flattening them out into little mesas. Question in two parts. One, since I did not get to try the knife, how severely should this impact performance? My gut says it's pretty buggered up, but I can see where the gradual swoop up to the flattened areas could be better than standard teeth. And two, is it worthwhile for him to have it repaired professionally or would it be more cost effective to buy a new knife for the cost? Obviously someone could resculpt those ridges, but I wouldn't trust myself, much less him, and it would take a lot of time from some pro's day.

Post subject: Re: Mac Bread Knife Repair
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:46 am 
Forum Moderator

See if Mac would regrind the scallops back in.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:22 am 

I think your better off buying a new knife. You could grind the "little mesas" down to make a suji out of it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:23 am 
Forum Moderator

Why WOULDN"T you let Mac repair the blade? It's a decent bread knife, not a crappy suji.

Mac has special grinding wheels for putting the serrations back in the blade. Not easily done otherwise. Just turning it into a trash knife is an amateurish approach.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:54 am 

IIRC the Mac service center is in Sacramento. All they can do is say no. I'd give it a shot.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:38 am 
Forum Moderator

Exactly! About 60 miles from me.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:24 pm 

I got a chance to see this knife in use and cut with it for a spell myself. It still performs better than many bread knives, though it doesn't cut as cleanly as it should or could. I gave my coworker the Mac hotline and hopefully he will put a little effort into getting it worked on, but he seemed surprisingly satisfied with the subpar performance.

Two hours later I saw him trying to use it to carve beef. I guess you can win them all.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:01 pm 

Lepus writes: Two hours later I saw him trying to use it to carve beef. I guess you can win them all.

That's painful. Maybe you should make a suji out of it. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:10 pm 

I can't change him and I'm not going to try. He asked me for advice and I told him exactly what I would do. He seems to have ignored it, so I wash my hands of the entire ordeal. Hopefully his inferior results will speak to him.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]