It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:10 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sets ? am i missing something?
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:05 am 

Thinking of purchasing the edge pro with shapton stones.

But I wasn't sure if I was missing something in the pricing between the "shapton" "essentials" and "full monty" sets.
Seems like the savings is only $4.85 from the "full monty" over "shapton set". But from the "essentials set" there is a negative savings of 13.25. Is it just me or buying it all separate going to save me 14 bucks?? Its probably me not seeing something important anyone able to help?? Is there something in the full monty that I didn't see that makes up the difference? Sorry if am coming off as a cheapskate not really worried about the money more curiosity or wondering if the "full monty" has something cool that I missed.

Full monty $380

shapton set $329.95
angle cube 34.95
kangaroo strop 19.95
Total: 384.85

edge pro essential 229.95
angle cube 34.95
kangaroo strop 19.95
jewlers loop 8.95
320 shapton stone 33.00
8k shapton stone 39.95
total 366.75

thanks for everyone's time and patience
Graham

Post subject: Re: Sets ? am i missing something?
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:52 am 

Welcome to CKTG Forums, I'm not sure why piecing it out individually is cheaper, but if I had to guess probably some of the individual items are on sale now and a little cheaper than when Mark put the full Monty set together. The Shapton stones are the way to go with the Edge pro. The only thing I would change is I would leave out the Kangaroo strop for the Edge pro, and just buy Marks 3x11 strop kit. I find stropping freehand much easier than on the Edge pro. Not that you can't do it, it's just easier with a lot more real estate on the 3x11 strops and it's only a matter of time before you wreck your kangaroo strop with the Edge pro with a accidental edge leading stroke.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:51 pm 
Forum Moderator

Graham - +1 to what Hutch said on the strop. Free hand stropping is much quicker and more convenient.

I would also eliminate the 320 Shapton Glass stone (too close to the 500 IMO) and maybe get the DMT 2x6 double sided diamond plate instead: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/dmt2x6diplfo.html. If you don't have a plate for flattening the EP stones, you should get one. I also don't think you'll need the 8K Shapton stone. You can get a knife just stupid sharp with the 4K stone IMO. Personally, I don't think most kitchen knives will benefit from going much higher than the Shapton 4K.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry about the pricing. We shuffle stuff in and out of the sets over time and the pricing gets muddled. I raised the essential set to come out even with the full monty. The shapton set has an additional 2 edge pro stones included that the others don't have so you get a little savings on them if you buy that set.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]