It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:28 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Steak Knives?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:29 pm 

I am guessing that the steel quality and build of the Victorinox is going to be pretty inferior compared to what I am used to with my Japanese knives. Still searching...

Bread - Tojiro 270mm ITK Bread Knife
Chef - Shun Premier 8" Chef Knife
Nakiri - Sakai Takayuki Damascus 160mm Nakiri
Petty - Konosuke HH Stainless 150mm Wa-Petty
Paring - Tojiro DP 90mm Paring Knife

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:03 am 

Just to keep this going and to add some more..........

No comparison between your j-knives and the Vic's.......... Having said that, a steak knife is usually subjected to a much worse "cutting board", i.e., your plates. Metal, porcelain, glass, etc. For me, I guess that's where the tradeoff comes in. Watching a dinner guest saw away on your dinnerware with a little Kanemasa-E petty or my nice new Hiromoto petty (love this knife!!!) is an exercise in excruciating terror........... I guess that's why I have some Vic's for the purpose. They can use them and I don't feel like my **hey you can't say that on a family show** is tightening up.........

Any decisions? The offer on the Tojiros still stands................... :twisted:

We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........

Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:09 pm 

How much do you want to spend, and is style more important than function?

The Wusthof Classic steak knives are great for everyday use, but if you are willing to spend a bit more for something that will dress up your table and wow your guests, get a set of steak knives from one of the better manufacturers in Laguiole, France, such as Laguiole en Aubrac:

http://www.laguiole-en-aubrac.fr/anglai ... leres.html

Note that there are a lot of cheap knives that claim to be from the Laguiole region -- avoid them!

~Voltaire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:26 pm 

I use the Victorinox serrated paring for steaks or whatever meat I'm cutting. They work well and are inexpensive so if someone is beating them to death on plates I don't care. Do you seriously want to drop $40 on a knife that seldom sees use and when it does people are cutting on plates with them? I sure as heck don't. If I'm going to spend $160 on knives it will be on something for me to use not people at the dinner table who won't know a bit of difference between the $4 and $40 knife. Both will cut up their steak.

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2