It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:13 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: A day in the life of an Apprentice
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:38 pm 

I absolutely hate breakfast more than anything. It's so simple but insanely dynamic...Customers have a propensity to spit in chefs faces when they ask for so many damn substitutions. One night my boss had a meltdown and yelled loud enough for the dining room to hear "What is this a f-in hospital." Needless to say it was a hoot.

You are very lucky to be in an educational and challenging environment. I hope to get there someday, or get the chance to insanely operate my own simple establishment.

Can you elaborate on how to identify scallop quality. I'm fairly certain our scallops that we use are fresh as can be. They are fairly expensive and not white looking...very much slightly pinkish in color...A transluscent glow of pink...white but not glaringly so.

Also they do seem to hold shape rather well.

I too am coming into this profession late...I really hope to get to a situation like yours. I am glad you are committed. Some chefs feel they should hire people without having to teach and I think that's a shame. Giving education for cheap work is a great trade off. You'll be an ivy league school of fine foods before you know it.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:05 am 

Life in the lower middle class -

Get up at 7am
Leave for work about 8am
Get home from shitty job about 5pm
Eat super about 6:30pm
Sit on the couch and drink beer til bed time about 11pm
Get up the next morning and realize you life is Groundhog's Day.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:41 am 
Forum Moderator

Umberto wrote:"I'm fairly certain our scallops that we use are fresh as can be... Also they do seem to hold shape rather well."

W/o directly addressing the question directed to MILLER, I will sneak in two cents. I'll leave the raw discernment to him, but since you are talking about scallops you had already cooked, "wet-pack scallops" are soaked in phosphates which "preserve" the scallop & it retains copious amounts of water. As you cook wet-packs or previously frozen scallops - to a lesser extent, they release all the aforementioned water. They are disgusting & unmistakable. They are very difficult to get any color on, and in a flour &/or cornstarch dredge scenario, they invariably end up as glue.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:48 am 

“Compelling careers often have complex origins that reject the simple idea that all you have to do is follow your passion…” From Cal Newport's Study Hacks blog (http://calnewport.com/), discussing his book wherein he makes the point that pre-existing passions are rare, and that we are far better off developing and cultivating a passion. I had a passion for surgery, otherwise I wouldn't have put in 120+ hours a week as an intern. (No one is allowed to do that any more -it is, quite frankly, dangerous.) Well, that passion fell prey to politics, which I am particularly bad at. :cry: I have developed a passion for almost everything I have done since. A pre-existing passion of mine is photography, but when asked how to make it in photography, a noted professional photographer answered, "Have another source of income." :roll:

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:13 pm 

Melampus wrote:
Umberto wrote:"I'm fairly certain our scallops that we use are fresh as can be... Also they do seem to hold shape rather well."

W/o directly addressing the question directed to MILLER, I will sneak in two cents. I'll leave the raw discernment to him, but since you are talking about scallops you had already cooked, "wet-pack scallops" are soaked in phosphates which "preserve" the scallop & it retains copious amounts of water. As you cook wet-packs or previously frozen scallops - to a lesser extent, they release all the aforementioned water. They are disgusting & unmistakable. They are very difficult to get any color on, and in a flour &/or cornstarch dredge scenario, they invariably end up as glue.

+1 on this...

When you look it it, does it look "wet" does it look "shiny". Set it on the plate, it should look a little lopsided, tilted. You're looking for firm, sticky/tacky texture, nice color. Basically you're looking for scallops that don't look wet or shiny as these immediately tell you that it has been soaked.
Cut a piece off of one, eat it, if it tastes like brine it was a soaked scallop.
You will never get that beautiful sear on a soaked scallop. They contain too much moisture for the classic look. I think this is the third seminar that I've sat in on scallops.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Nuy5-ZmsEdk/U ... llops.jpeg

This is a good picture of nice scallops they're kind of dull, not glossy. W/out eating one I would say they haven't been soaked.

http://www.finecooking.com/assets/uploa ... xlg_xl.jpg
Left picture, soaked scallops
Right picture, dry packed

There is a HUGE quality difference in the two.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:07 pm 

tasty. that side by side pic is great.

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2