It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:22 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Katsushige Anryu
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:43 am 

If I wanted a knife by this Smith, do I want a knife under his own name or a Masakage branded one?

General I know. I like the look of the hammered line, but I may actually have enough in Blue#2.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Katsushige Anryu
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:08 am 

I would go with the one under his name.
Haven't handled either, but resin ferrule on the yuki line would make me look elsewhere. Simple personal preference, though.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:16 am 

mark wrote:I would go with the one under his name.
Haven't handled either, but resin ferrule on the yuki line would make me look elsewhere. Simple personal preference, though.

Good point, but I thought he did the Mizu. Does he smith both?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:26 am 

Just a Mizu line with the marbled resin ferrule.

I meant to type Masakage not yuki :oops:

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:29 am 

No worries

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:18 am 

Mizu is listed as Aogami #2 as well.

I have not handled the Masakage knife, but the Hammered is an awesome knife. Highly recommend.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:43 am 
Forum Moderator

Anryu-san... <--link #1

Anryu-san... <--link #2

Anryu-san... <--link #3

DAN <> IMO, the Katsushige Anryu<--link is classic yet refined, hefty yet nimble, gorgeous yet unpretentious; it is one of my favorite lines on the site. This knife is a middle-weight that has some heft of which in concert with an impeccable grind intensifies its cutting power allowing it to fall through food effortlessly. It is a fun knife to use. Along with that benefit, it [weight] can cause fatigue if you're machine gunning it for extended periods of time; in a residential environment this trait might be moot. When you have this knife in hand, it feels like you have A KNIFE in hand.

The Kanehiro AS <-- link is nearly identical in weight although it can vary, sometimes wildly, but the Kanehiro just feels lighter... it is the more nimble of the two. Additionally, its AS core is consistently the sharpest or next to sharpest knife in my kit exhibiting wonderful edge retention to boot. I'm not discounting the Anryu B#2, but the Kanehiro edges it out in this regard & might be a consideration outside of Anryu-san.

I have the 210 & 240, and this is of the former. It will give you better views than the site pics.

I haven't used the Mizu or W#2 Anryu, but from studying them, I can't imagine either are as exceptional as his tsuchime... it is magnificent.. at least the one I used was.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:03 am 

The grind on that Anryu Hammered gives me a woody every time I see it. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:06 pm 

I have a Anryu white, Anryu blue hammered, and mizu blue. Anryu also makes Kumo (VG10 damascus), but I don't have one of those - http://www.masakageknives.com/knives_kumo.html. OOTB, all three were nice and sharp, and F&F was among the best I've seen for all three. Pretty darn thin behind the edge, no complaints about the grinds. What I say below is bit of splitting hairs, trying to differentiate very slight differences.

The mizu has a resin ferrule and it is visually a bit odd, but the cherry wood handle takes on a nice color through use. The KU finish is my favorite out of any I have seen - very well done, blue hue to it. I like the lacquer (others don't). F&F gets a very slight nod above the others (only complaint I had was step down from wood to ferrule on handle, but I don't care so much about handles, so it never really bothered me).

The suminagashi with KU is a beaut of a knife - very appealing aesthetically. F&F is a SMALL step down from the Mizu - eased/round choil and spine isn't quite as even as Mizu, but probably splitting hairs here a bit.

The hammered is truly unique. I whole-heartedly agree with Melampus above and couldn't have said it better myself. If I put all my knives out on the counter, this is the one that people would pick up and inspect first. It is a bit lighter than the mizu and suminagashi comparing gyuto weights. It is my favorite performer of these three.

If you have enough knives in blue, the suminagashi would be a good fit. If there is no steel preference, I'd grab another hammered. Nothing against the Mizu mind you - just that the hammered is a great performer with awesome looks.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]