It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:18 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 4 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: >> Another day, another service... <<
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:02 pm 

Dark beer rules! Stouts and Porters are especially fun to consume...I find them much more complex than pales and IPA's.

Some stouts can be malt forward and not too complex but they really let the grain be showcased where as those darn big California IPA's are just like sucking on a hop cone...

I'd recommend trying Old Rasputin Imperial Stout, and Sheaf Stout. The Old Rasputin is a big hoppy alcoholic beer that leaves a lingering head if poured with vigor. The Sheaf is just a simple no nonsense dry stout with a refreshing chocolate character...Old Rasputin drinks like a big dark french roast while the Sheaf is like a Mocha minus the sugary crap.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:33 pm 

Of all my cook friends, I alone dislike dark beer. Ordering a wheat beer while everyone else has a stout is my eternal shame as a manly man.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

I've had Old Rasputin. They seem to carry it all the Whole Foods Markets I've shopped at on the East Coast. It's been awhile since I had it last as it didn't impress me much, but we all have our favorites...

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:30 pm 

Beer is a perishable product. I am relatively close the source so that could be why. Most stouts seem better served at warmer temperatures. The Old Rasputin will be more hoppy foreward and bitter if served ice cold. Letting it warm up to a few degrees past cellar temp opens it up considerably.

I can understand not liking the beer. It's a hoppy style. You might want to try Einstok Porter from Iceland. It's very clean tasting, must be the water. It's a really straightforward example of the porter style without any fancy schmancy brew geek embellishments.

You might want to try Aventinus Doppelbock. Although it's not a porter or stout, it's a very nice dark wheat ale not some bastardized american fruit bomb of a beer. Its got fruity character, clove and banana, but it's true german yeast character. A great dark beer for 8 percent alcohol that drinks smooth.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:39 pm 
Forum Moderator

I mostly drink my beer room temp.

I'll call around for Aventinus & Einstok when I get a chance.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

So I picked up some tastings following your reco. Had the Rasputin again, and again found it to be good but nothing special for me. It was, as I remembered, too carbonated for my preference; loved the Einstock... wonderfully coffee yet still too carbonated for me; the Royal & Dragon were very similar with jammy bodies & heavy caramel notes; the Heart of Darkness had a bit of a burnt caramel to it; and although the Thelonius Ale was for shits & giggles, I enjoyed her immensely.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:44 pm 

Cool man! I don't feel like such a failure as a beer steward now. Brother Thelonius is an alright beer to style but there are much better authentic products of Belgian orgin that absolutely pounce on it. The good thing about the Brother Thelonius beer is that part of proceeds go to musical education charity.

Did you drink the Old Rasputin from the bottle? If you did of course the CO2 had nowhere to escape but your belly. If you can find it try Sheaf stout from Australia. It's freaking great. Lot's of mocha character. Coopers Australian Stout is also a good no nonsense refreshing stout. Coopers is sort of like the Sierra Nevada of Australia. It's a big producer but still pushes out quality.

If you liked the Brother Thelonius style of beer you should try La Trappe Quadrupel from Konigshoeven...Very sweet tasting but ooh so good...use a tulip goblet, it's very carbonated and a glass will help the gas escape better.

For real beer snobbery you've got to try and find a bottle of Deus Brut Des Flandres. It is beer made true to methode champenoise. It's a hybrid beer in the sense that it is brewed with beer ingredients but carbonated like champagne.

You might even want to play a practical joke on your sommelier...don't let them see that the bottle is beer. Pour them a glass and exclaim "You've got to try his new bubbly I've discovered." Only after they've given you a big spiel tell them that they are drinking beer :)

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:59 pm 

Umberto wrote:For real beer snobbery you've got to try and find a bottle of Deus Brut Des Flandres. It is beer made true to methode champenoise. It's a hybrid beer in the sense that it is brewed with beer ingredients but carbonated like champagne.

You might even want to play a practical joke on your sommelier...don't let them see that the bottle is beer. Pour them a glass and exclaim "You've got to try his new bubbly I've discovered." Only after they've given you a big spiel tell them that they are drinking beer :)

Like Champale!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:39 pm 
Forum Moderator

UMBERTO <> All the bottles were poured into Highballs; I just prefer "flat" beers...

I'll take a look around for more off your list. I'm pretty sure I've had the La Trappe.

No Sommelier... all spirits got through the Head Butler & myself.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:21 pm 

I believe the term flat is a big denigrating to craft beer producers. I believe the proper term is viscous. You prefer a viscous texture to your ales. That is something that lots of people really enjoy. With that in mind I'll suggest the following:

JW Lees Harvest Ale (standard beer is good, barrel aged varieties are very good to if you can find them they are rare in the US)

Harviestoun Old Engine Oil

Belhaven Wee Heavy (Probably one of the most malty beers on the market)

Traquair House Ale (brewed in a really cool old estate, great beer, great folklore. They brew in 200 year old russian oak tanks then finish fermentation in stainless vessels)

Page 3 of 4 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next