It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:29 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 44 of 59 [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 59  Next
 Post subject: Re: Exclusive Forum Only Sales
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:37 pm 

I dunno, worked with a guy who had a few caters and knew his stuff. Advised against getting anything thicker than 3mm spine for that reason.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:54 pm 

Nbles wrote:I dunno, worked with a guy who had a few caters and knew his stuff. Advised against getting anything thicker than 3mm spine for that reason.

Sorry, but your guy doesn't know his "stuff", no matter how many Carters he has.

I'll say it again, spine thickness has nothing, repeat, nothing to do with cutting performance.

If you want proof, try a Shigefusa, a Watanabe or a Yoshiaki Fujiwara (Kato).

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:31 pm 

I wouldn't go that far because I think it misses the point. Spine thickness frequently informs a knife's overall geometry. Correlation, yes, causation, no. A knife with support to do more robust work isn't going to be a laser. That thick knife may move through product prodigiously, but spine thickness is a trade off. I agree typecasting a knife is unwise, but it is a blade element that needs consideration.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:29 pm 

The point is that using spine width as a sole criterion for rejecting (or accepting) a knife is ridiculous. The worst performing knife I ever had the misfortune to use had a waif-thin spine of 2.0 mm above the heel. It was made under the misconception that all you needed to do to make a sheet of steel a blade was to put an edge on it.

Generalizing geometry from spine thickness is sometimes useful, but not always, as the three knives I mentioned prove.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:19 am 

You and i may have different requirements in a knife.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:04 am 

Rick ~ Who made that waif-thin wonder that you found unsat? I ask because I just received an EMS package containing a 270 gyuto that measures just over 1.8mm on the spine at the heel. And not one potato or onion in the house.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:03 am 

Defaultanon,

I have a Moritaka 210 gyuto and have removed the koruchi finish (although now I sort of wish I hadn't). The cladding is somewhat reactive but much, much less so than the AS core. The AS gets a dull yellow patina pretty quickly (and will rust if you are sluggish in wiping it clean). The cladding will start to cloud up after a batch of onions or two, but even after a 20 minute mustard treatment the patina is still quite mild. If you like I can post some photos tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:09 pm 

Nbles wrote:You and i may have different requirements in a knife.

Perhaps.

Have you used a Shig, Watanabe or Kato?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:42 pm 
Forum Moderator

Guys, the only thing I'll add is these spine thickness measurements of CKTG knives are taken right above the heel/chin, usually not far out from the handle/tang junction. On many knives that thickness tapers down (sometime quickly) as you travel down the blade towards the tip. A good example is my Ikeda AS Damascus 250: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/taik24dagy.html. Check the video. 3.5mm thick above the chin, but tapers down into a pretty darn thin knife, especially at the tip. Overall, this is one of the three thinnest knives I own, the others being the Kono HD2 240 Funy/Gyuto, and the Takamura R-2 210 Gyuto.

Even a knife like the Sakai Takayuki Ginsan 240 Gyuto, which I liked enough to purchase, is not thin at the spine, but does include a nice distal taper in the front 1/3 of the blade. This, combined with very nice grinds down to the edge, make this knife a very good performer, despite it's heft.

IMO the overall grind of the blade and the tapering of the spine thickness throughout the blade, including any distal taper, or even just the primary bevel grind towards the tip, have more impact on performance than almost anything else.

Another case in point are the Gassan Blue #2 knives. They hold about 2mm of spine thickness almost all the way to the tip, where the grind kicks in at the end of the blade. The tips of these flow through product VERY well, despite what visually might seem to be an average or worse performer, based on looks alone. My Masakage Yuki is quite similar in this respect, yet the tip really goes well through product also. Sometimes looks can be deceiving.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:55 pm 

Sometimes looks can be deceiving.

Exactly my point.

Page 44 of 59 [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 59  Next