It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:34 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Stainless steel knife
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:33 am 

SteveG

sent the teruyasu to get rehandled so i wont see it for some time. leaning towards the 3 stones i listed above and kono HH 240mm. forgot to mention in my OP that i usually push cut on taller ingredients and rock chop the shorter ingredients.

thanks for everyones input.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:24 am 

Salem,
I was just lamenting that I do not have excuse to sharpen as much as I would like. Maybe I need to thin the herd :D

Stevo,
I do not have any experience with the Besters.

I do have the Arashiyama 6k and it is a very nice stone, waiting for the 1k and 6k from them might be worth the wait.

I also just recently got the 1k/4k Shapton Glass and they are really nice stones, those too are out of stock but well worth the wait.

I also like the Nubatama Ume Speckled 1k and 2k. The 1k Nubatama Speckled feels much coarser than other ~1k stones I have used, so I might get the 2k from Nubatama and then a 4k, though I would talk to Ken Schwartz for what he recommends in that range, the Nubatama is too varied and numerous for me to speculate on what might be best for that grit range.

As far as what grits, I do not think you need anything coarser than 1k unless you need to repair substantial chips. I have only needed a coarser stone twice, once was to remove a chip ~3mm deep and once to reset a bevel on a knife I had taken a belt sander to. So a 1k, 4k (or 6k) combo is a common starter setup.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

Stevo, I think you'll love the Kono HH 240. Excellent choice!

I haven't tried as many stones as other, more experienced sharpeners, but my absolute favorite stone is the Suehiro Rika 5K. It's velvety smooth, cuts very fast for it's grit level, has great feedback, and it dishes slowly, despite being a relatively soft stone. It's a genuine pleasure to sharpen on the Rika, and I love the polished, but toothy edge it leaves. This, plus some stropping on horse butt leather is my final edge for most knives.

I also really like the Shapton Pro 1.5K stone. It cuts fast, dishes slow, has a little more feedback than the Glass series stones, and is also pleasurable to use. You can easily go from the Pro 1.5K to the Rika 5K. On carbon or easy to sharpen stainless knives (AEB-L, Ginsan, etc.) I can easily re-do edges in good shape with the Rika 5K. It cuts that fast.

I took all 6 Moritaka AS video knives last week and lightly sharpened the edges on the Pro 1.5K, then stropped a bit on Horse Butt and the results were very, very good. The Rika 5K would have refined the edge to an even better level. I just wanted to see what a quick trip to the Pro 1.5K would do.

If you need a mid-coarse stone for dealing with chips or very dull knives, the Chosera 400 or Shapton Glass 500 would be great choices IMO. They feel smooth for their grit level and cut quite fast.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

BTW the Rika is back in stock as of today. We went a long time between orders so I'm glad I have them again.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:50 pm 

Shapton pro 1500 is not in stock

:(

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:06 pm 

Just ordered the bester 1000, rika 5000 and the kono hh.

Can't wait to get them.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:22 pm 

Sounds like fun. Congrats!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:47 am 

That is a very good start.

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2