It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:30 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: First Timer Recommendation
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:04 am 

Don't forget to update the tread with a report once you have a little fun with the knife!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:58 am 

I just saw this thread. I just received my kohetsu blue #2 on friday and had the weekend to use it a little. I tried it out of the box and the edge was nicely finished and sharp. SteveG and Mel are on the money with the kohetsu blue 2. It is a superb blade at a budget price. The blade didn't need sharpening but some stroping took it to the next level of sharp. So Mels recommendation for a strop kit and paste was right on the money. I played around with stroping it with different sized compound, 3 micron, 1.5, 1 and 0.5. In the end I settled on 1.5 as having the best combination of polish and toothy, Anything between 3 micron and 1 micron would have been fine. I found 0.5 micron to be too polished, ie. overkill. The 2 micron boron carbide would be just perfect also.

The blade is perfect for what it is. But bear in mind this is a laser at a budget price and lasers are thin blades that fall through food and as such are also fragile. The tip of my blade was slightly bent, not sure if it came that way or I hadn't noticed knocking it against something. Its almost paper thin and I tried bending it with bare hands and was able to straighted in out just fine. This tip is perfect for making precise and easy cuts through onion when dicing but keep in mind how fragile it is. There's nothing wrong with it, a laser is a high performance knife but also requires you to be mindful you're working with a thin blade, no opening of cans with this knife, or any knife for that matter. I also tried cutting a baguet and managed to ding the edge a little so no no on crusty breads also. I put it to a stone and was able to pretty much grind the damage out with very little work. Its a really nice blade, it cuts through produce with such ease and leaves very clean crisp cuts. Apple was so cleanly cut that it didn't turn brown after being in the fridge overnight. Basically the takeaway is treat it carefully and constantly improve on your cutting technique.

PS: I like the handle. You can't see it in the video but it is a very rich dark brown with visible wood grain. Pakka wood is actually a composite wood made with resin and wood fibre. Its waterproof and durable and they are able to simulate any wood finish. It looks like real wood with the durability of a synthetic. Handle is a bit blocky but has a nice warm feel to it. The fit isn't great but its well finsihed, the scales were not even, one side was about 3/4 mm in front of the other and there's the little gap where the handle meets the tang as mentioned in Steve's quick video. Anyway you're going to love the way it cuts and that's what really matters.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

Junky - head's up, the Suehiro Rika 5K is back in stock. Get one - you'll love it! The Shapton Pro 1.5K would be a good combination with the Rika IMO.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:26 pm 

SteveG - Thanks a bunch for the heads up! Just placed an order for that and the Naniwa Aotoshi 2k Green Brick. Now to wait for the Latte to come back in stock and to find something good between the Latte/Green Brick! Thanks again!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:29 pm 
Forum Moderator

JUNKY <> What traits do you like/dislike in a stone.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:38 pm 

Mel - I'm so new to it that I have no idea! The choices I mention seemed to have positive reviews for being easy to use/learn on for beginners, so I guess I'm aiming for that as well as establishing a decent set of stones for a good progression for the new japanese knife (and others jknifes im sure ill end up getting in the future). In addition to that, I picked up the green brick because folks seemed to like that one for a lot of german steel and various other knives (I have a few hunting knives that are in need of sharpening as well as the old henckels to practice on).

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:48 pm 

Some people, good sharpeners, jump from the Latte to the Green Brick.

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2