It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:30 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 240 or 270 Gyuto wanted.
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:05 pm 
Site Admin

I want to buy a new knife. I already have one misono ux-10 and one togiharu.

I would like a gyuto 240mm or 270mm with, if possible, a 50/50 blade. Like everybody, something with very high edge retention, fine edge, not very hard to sharpen. My limit is about US $350,00.

Suggestions?

Thanks G

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: 240 or 270 Gyuto wanted.
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:06 pm 
Site Admin

Are you interested in a Western handle or Wa handle?
Would you like stainless or carbon steel?

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:16 pm 

No preference between Western handle or Wa handle.
I've never had a carbon knife. I know they demand more care, and I'm willing to do that. So, no preference between stainless or carbon steel.
I also should tell you I'm a home cook (crazy about knives and cooking).
I'm left handed and because my wife is right handed (yes, I let she use my knives) I asked for, if possible, one with a 50/50 bevel.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:58 pm 

I would try something in carbon if you don't have one, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. A lot to chose from up to $350. I would get a 240mm to start with if the wife is using it too.

This is a nice carbon knife with stainless cladding to make caring for the knife a little easier. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kaanasgy24.html

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:17 pm 

this is a great knife too. its more expensive than the anryu ($319). I have the 210mm version and its sharp OOTB. the kanehiro is also clad in stainless steel with AS in the core.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ka24wa.html

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:36 pm 
Forum Moderator

GSM <> IMO, as JEFFB suggests, the Katsushige Anryu<--link is classic yet refined, hefty yet nimble, gorgeous yet unpretentious; it is one of my favorite lines on the site. This knife is a middle-weight that has some heft of which in concert with an impeccable grind intensifies its cutting power allowing it to fall through food effortlessly. It is a fun knife to use. Along with that benefit, it [weight] can cause fatigue if you're machine gunning it for extended periods of time, but in a residential environment this trait is moot. When you have this knife in hand, it feels like you have A KNIFE in hand. This is the only trait that causes me SLIGHT pause as your wife will be a user.

The Kohetsu<--link is a different style option as it presents a light weight option, it's AS core exhibits great overall performance, and the F&F is very nice. It doesn't have the soul of an Anryu, but it is amazing bang for the buck.

STEVE suggests the Kanehiro AS <-- link of which I would suggest over the Anryu considering your wife. They are nearly identical in weight although it can vary, sometimes wildly, but the Kanehiro just feels lighter... it is the more nimble of the two. Additionally, its AS core is consistently the sharpest or next to sharpest knife in my kit exhibiting wonderful edge retention to boot. I'm not discounting the Anryu B#2, but the Kanehiro edges it out in this regard.

I have the 240, but this is of my 210. Will give you better views than the site.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:25 pm 

Thank you all for answer so fast!!!!
It's a hard choice between the Katsushige and the Kanehiro...
The weight is not exactly a problem (my wife uses my knives, but very little because she doesn't cook a lot).
Is one of them easier to sharpen?
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:10 am 

"Is one of them easier to sharpen?"

I have not used the Kanehiro, but for most users there is only a marginal, if any, difference between Aogami super and Aogami #2 in terms of edge taking and retention.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:33 am 

+ Concurrence with what Cedarhouse said...

They both should be similar in that they are hardened close to the same. I have Hiromoto in AS and find it easy to sharpen as well though they do have a slight different feel on the stones.

I like the way Melampus describes the Anryu.: it really does have "soul", sharpens easily and enjoyable to use - just touched it up as a matter of fact.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:46 pm 

Thank you very much for the advices. I think I'll go with the Anryu (the 'soul' thing got me) and use the extra money to buy or a new petty knife (150mm) or a honesuki. Again, 50/50 bevel, no preferences about the steel or the handle...
Two questions (if I should have started a new topic, I'm sorry):
1) Yes, I like to proper clean my meat (what I do often) and sometimes to work with chickens... But, is worth to a home cook have a honesuki? I already have a togiharu petty knife (stainless), but...
2) Sugestions on both (petty and honesuki). If possible, no more then U$ 200,00 (I know some honesuki costs a little more, and, if worth, I'm willing to pay for it).
Sorry about my english (I live in Brazil).
Thank's

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next