It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:28 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Thoughts on the Kono HH 270 Sujihiki
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:36 pm 

Just curious if anyone has had any experience with this product. I will be using it for cutting pre-fileted (No bones) loins, bellies, shoulders, etc. of a variety of fish in large quantities. I have been out at sea for the last several weeks and will be back to try out this knife when I return. I am curious about the material (would love to know what material this is), ability to hold and take an edge, and if this is a forged or stamped product. Is this a great knife or should I step up in price. Any help will be appreciated.

Jamie

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on the Kono HH 270 Sujihiki
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:01 pm 

I believe more than a few members just purchased this knife and the 300mm version recently. You should get plenty of responses!

I'll start by mentioning that the steel is supposedly very similar – if not identical to – AEB-L stainless and people like it very much. The high hardness apparently provides excellent edge taking and holding while still being durable. I have Kono HD knives, which are similar in design, and I can comment that they are NOT hand forged in the sense you imply (I don't think they are "stamped" either, but rather laser or water cut), but that they are made with excellent profiles, grinds, geometry, and great fit-and-finish regarding edges, rounding, the works. For example, my HDs give the impression that someone personally handled them throughout the shaping, grinding, and handling process, just not for the actual hammering of the steel (whether or not this was the actual case). These are very thin knives of very high quality. They will not have the "heft" of some hand-forged blades with thicker spines or tangs, but people love them for their excellent performance and, especially their thinness, light weight, and terrific shoulders behind the edge.

Like I said, you'll get more comments from others, especially on the flex and profile of the knife and the specific questions regarding fish and other proteins. Happy shopping!

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:42 pm 

I can only speak from a home cook perspective but Own the hh gyuto and recently acquired a 270 suji. I love the steel it's easy to sharpen and with my gyuto it holds the edge a long time. It gets super sharp. Up until getting the suji wasn't sure if I needed one and I don't really "need" one but after using it several times I don't reach for the gyuto anymore when slicing. It was definitely a quality purchase

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 3:19 am 

I picked up the Konosuke HH 300mm during the sale. I have not yet had opportunity and luck to really run it through its paces, but what I have done with it was exceptionally pleasant. The steel is actually a proprietary formula, but it is pliant to sharpen (I also have the HH nakiri) and holds an edge well. I agree that it functions very much like AEB-L. The grind on the knife, however, is what sets it apart. It works through product impeccably. As stainless steel goes, and even many carbon sujihikis, it is a good choice for the investment.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 3:42 am 

I was traveling when the sale hit and missed it. I'm glad to hear that the initial response is positive as I had no doubt it would be an excellent knife at an excellent price.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:12 am 

The Kono white #2 suji is impressive, I can't imagine the HH being any less.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:40 pm 

Have only limited miles on mine, like what I have seen.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:45 pm 

Just used this to take some skin off a big piece of salmon. Worked like a charm, enough flex and plenty sharp. The more I use this knife the more I like it.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:52 pm 

I picked up a 300mm HH. F+F was what was expected, nicely done knife with only a few blemishes. A little unevenness on the handle/ferrule. Spine is great, handle install is great. The sharpness however was an entirely different monster. Very poor edge compared to what I expected. The whole front 3 or 4 inches had absolutely no edge. Very irregular. It was sharp on the heel to about mid point, there it started to "bump" and then nothing. I stropped it to see if maybe it just rolled over. Tried a cut again, same reaction. I sharpened it on a 1k stone and it smoothed out after a few minutes. Everyone has a dud once in a while, luckily it wasn't serious.

As far as I know it is forged, but that said, my expertise does not lie in Konosuke knives at this point.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:04 am 

I have the Kono HH 270 Suji, I also have limited miles on mine, the knife so far has been great, a effortless cutter. F&F is fantastic on mine, the spine and Choil are smooth, handle instal and fit is great. (just like you expect from Konosuke) sharpness OOTB was very good on mine. I also have the 240mm Kono HH Gyuto and it's just as nice. Nothing but positive to say about all Kono knives. I really like the stainless HH line.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]