It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:30 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: >> Tojiro DP Gokujo <<
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:51 pm 
Forum Moderator

So I had 3 days off in April, one of which was this past Sunday. I had a 6-six course VIP dinner party on Saturday that I was prepping for until 02:00 on Friday "night". Left, walked my dog to the beach, showered, was asleep by 04:00, and back ITK @06:27. Got about 90 minutes shut-eye, and I'm prepping away through breakfast service when I get a text. :shock: One of my fishing buddies is asking if I'm off Sunday. I don't wanna say yes cuz I can sense it's an invitation for a trip... which are typically 2 or 3 days long. I really don't need the little shred of sanity I have - to be pissed on by another spontaneous stroke of misfortune... as I am all too familiar with. :evil:

I answer, "Why?"

He replies, "Headin to the Islands [bahamas] for the annual Mutton run @02:00. You in?"

I reply, "Only off Sunday."

He rebuts, "We're back @21:00 on Sunday."

As you could imagine, I about shook him through the phone, "I'M IN!" :mrgreen: "BUT... I will get out of work 00:30 earliest. I have to get home to walk the dog AT LEAST an hour. Shower. Pack. Race to the port 75 miles North of me. If you have to sail @02:00, I'm not your guy." :?

He says, "Just get your ass up here no later then 03:00." 8-)

Couldn't believe it was looking like I was going to slay some cold-bloods, but it was happening. I get on the horn & start scheduling people & negotiating compensations to watch my dog the next day. Then back to work... WITH JOY & HOPE IN MY KNIFE. 8-)

I get out at 00:30, fill up the (2) 120qt coolers downstairs at the ice machine, and I'm off to my dog. Give him his due love & affection, then shower, grab what garb I can & GO, GO, GO... no time to prepare anything. I hit the interstate at 100+; never dropped below 85. Stopped for fuel 50 miles in, grabbed two gallons of water for hydration, and back on the I. Made it there AT 03:00! :twisted: Unloaded. Loaded. Parked. Shoved off...

30 miles offshore we lost oil pressure in the port motor. :evil: My buddy & I tried valiantly to persuade his buddy, the Captain, to continue the next 40 miles on one motor, but he would not & Captain's word is law & we were not feeling mutinous on his friend's SeaVee. We fished US waters on the way back on one motor; never making the crossing. Lines were wet 8 hours, and we caught 8 Mahi up to 30#... nice fish, but not what we were planning. Sorta sucked. Racing around I had no time to pack food or sunscreen. Im burnt so bad I'm swollen like BOTOX. One of the housekeepers saw me on Monday, and after her visible shock, she says, "Now, you even look like El Diablo!" :lol: I'm still leaking plasma out of my face. It's bad.

As the saying goes, "Any day fishing, is better than a day at work..." I concur.

GOKUJO BACK AT IT:

My 3 fish share of the total 8:

I had already cleaned two & skinned the last fish when the Head Butler says, "Did you take any pictures?"

:| "Nope."

So here's a semi-whole fish picture, with my burnt crispity cracker ass: :lol:

Post subject: Re: >> Tojiro DP Gokujo <<
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:13 am 

Damn dude! You give new meaning to the term redhead! At least the day wasn't a total loss, hope you gained a little sanity back.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:00 am 
Forum Moderator

It's so much worse than that looks. My forehead is a swollen pad, raised at least 2mm. It has little holes where the skin has burst, and plasma just leaks. It's like my head is crying...

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:58 am 

ya but the fish looks great!!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:17 am 

That's a pretty great story. Only a mutiny could have made it better.

I feel your pain on the sunburn. I have two shades: pasty and burnt. I tried to take up kayaking for a while, but it wasn't meant to be.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:49 am 

Mel- great recap of a crazy couple days! Sounds like it was worth all the pain.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:50 am 
Forum Moderator

Great story, pics & cuts of fish.

Sunburn looks eina....

:)

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:58 am 

And I forgot about the righteous use of emoticons too...

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:52 am 
Forum Moderator

As usual, I have no time to tell the whole story. There is more though I fear I may never be able to share. Maybe I'll find the time...

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:24 pm 
Forum Moderator

At least you got out and caught something! I was on a trip, we were like 80 miles offshore when one of the 2 diesels died. Limped in at around 6-8 knots. Fortunately, we had caught 2 yellowfin and a bigeye the night before, but that was a LOOOOOONG ride home! I bet the walk in cooler feels nice on that sunburn...been there, done that! Can you fit a prep table in there?? LOL.

I keep my Go Bag ready...wide brimmed Boonie hat, sunblock, some fillet knives, gloves, gum, advil, tylenol, Imodium, and some misc rigging supplies (pliers, crimps, leaders, hooks, etc). That way I just need to grab the bag, food and water and rods and don't have to hunt down my base necessities regardless if it's inshore or offshore.

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next