It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:48 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: assorted sharpening
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:38 am 

Cheffiec> oh really? Oh man, i had no idea that they wore out quickly, let alone at all. Do you have any recommendations on a flattening solution that is a bit more permanent?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:41 am 

Jeff B wrote:Shaun Fernandez goes from the Green Brick to the Snow white in his favorite set. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mrfa3stcoset.html

And picks up from the Latte no less! He bridges 400 grit and an 8000 grit with one stone. It's hard to argue with good results.

As for diamond plates wearing down, they last a decent time period, but the no names will wear out dramatically faster. The DMT XC (if you want to use it for terribly worn knives) or XXC is probably the soft spot for lapping plates for those who aren't pro sharpeners. We're talking years.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:47 pm 

The 400 works for flattening, albeit not as fast as I would like. Its not a bad plate, but I get the feeling its not a great one either. If you want a cheap start it'll do the job, but it'll leave you pondering upgrades.

As for wear, I haven't noticed any, but it's still newish, I'll take other people's word over mine on the issue.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:22 am 

It must be my day off because I'm back at the stones. I just added two new stones to the arsenal, Shapton pro 1.5 and 5k, and am pretty impressed with the results.

400 side of duo diamond: with the new 1.5 k stone, 1000 side only saw use as a dry metal strop base. I thinned my 52100 sab artifex with the 400 side making a giant bevel and flattened all the older stones I used. Plate performed all tasks sufficiently, nothing spectacular, just efficient metal removal and a flat surface for stones. Still haven't noticed wear being an issue

1.5k stone: started the progression for all knives in this stone aside from the thinning. I was able to raise a burr in less than 20 back and forth strokes and counted down from 8 afterwards. As soon as I felt the edge I immediately found every pocket knife I own. I absolutely am in awe over the screaming toothy edge from this stone, I wouldn't recommend anything else for a good versatile field edge.

Green brick: even though this stone is technically only 500 grit away from the previous stone it follows it quite nicely. Polishes into a cloudy mirror and just straight up does work. If I were to recommend only one stone to a person, this would be it.

5k: I figured I would bridge the gap between the green and white to see what happens and the shapton 5 was quite a difference maker. Its pretty cool to watch a mirror getting brighter and brighter every time you wipe slurry onto a towel. I used this as a finishing stone for a forschner paring knife and an aebl artifex I got for a friend's wedding gift. The aebl gets unbelievably sharp on this stone and may wind up being the last stone in future progressions. Beautiful mirror, nice teeth, fast cutter, and convenient sharpening base case.

Snow white and strops: I decided to put as much polish on my 52100 to see how it performs this week and try stopping on the 5 next week. I will find out soon if the sharpest edge I've ever been involved in goes past function, but I have a feeling vegetables stand no chance.

Overall: I used the forum special for the first time and can't help but to feel like I robbed someone. The entire order arrived in less than 24 hours. I'm looking forward to sending every person I know in the knife market this direction, as well as using this site for all of my future purchases.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:28 pm 

A week in use and a stone in the sink. Continuing my ongoing diatribe for my quest for the what will be my working edge. The super stropped 8k mirror was a hell of a lot of high performance fun until I ran into tomatoes. Yeah, it cut them and no it didn't smash them, but I don't consider it a high perfoming edge. I was able to breeze through everything else (peppers, onions, carrots, celery and various meats) like butter, and with a micro bevel it held its edge rather nicely (2 touch ups in one week is good in my eyes, but im sure some of you out there have knives that need less). After my tomato incident, I touched up the edge on just the 8k with no strops and felt I had a more versatile cutting edge than when I started, giving more teeth to effectively zip through tomatoes while maintaining ease with everything else. (Whether this was due to poor stropping technique or over polish, im unsure exactly, but I think I just took the edge too far) I just put a lightly stropped 5k edge on for next weeks use. Its going to be tough to beat the non stropped 8k edge, as I was very happy with how it fuctioned.

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2