It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:14 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Petty + Gyuto for around 400 USD
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:16 pm 

My current favorite

Masakage Yuki

For the same price I can buy these as well:

Konosuke HD2

Takamura Migaki

Kohetsu HAP40

and

Kamo R-2

Takamura, Kamo and Kohetsu have a powder steel, which seams to perform very well.

Cant say anything about HD2 or Shirogami, unfortunately.

Please comment on style, performance, fit and finish and value for money of any of the above. Would really appreciate any shared experience!

Post subject: Re: Petty + Gyuto for around 400 USD
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:28 am 

I'm assuming you're looking at the 210mm of each? Things to change if you are looking at a different size for certain knives.

Takamura is the clear winner in value for the group you mentioned, imo. PM steeled Laser with pretty nice handle at the current price is a steal.

Kamo is out of stock. The first batch or 2 were reported to be fairly robust knives, but it was said that they would be changing to a new thinner profile. I have no experience with any Kamo nor have I heard any reports confirming they are now thinner.

Hap40 will hold an edge for a longer than any other steel from your list of knives, but it is a bear to sharpen. Definitely not my recommendation for a beginner. Personally, for the money I would jump on a Kohetsu b#2 and get some custom handle scales made by a pro instead. There is a bit of proud tang on my B#2. Doesn't effect anything as I can't tell visually and you don't feel it when you are holding the handle. Only time I can tell is when I run my finger perpendicular across the scales and spine. Still a fantastic bargain, imo.

Kono's are very nice knives. That said, I know I'm the clear minority, but I don't think HD2 is worth waiting for. Plenty of other lasers in great steels that perform just as well, imo.

Yuki is a bit of a departure compared the rest of the group. It's a carbon steel mid-weight. It has more of a rustic, hand made presence to it than the other knives. Comes very sharp out of the box and is nice and thin behind the edge. I really like look of the swept back heel... yet the red ferrule is not my cup of tea and I feel like it should be a octagon handle at the price point, but that's simply personal preference. W#2 won't hold an edge as long as any of the above mentioned steels, but will take more refinement and sharpen quicker/easier than any of the other steels. It's a trade off.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:25 am 

Thank you, Mark!

This is a present so any further modifications are out of options.

You are saying that Kamo is out of stock, but lots of knives on the site are out of stock - does that mean that any knife that is not in stock is on a long waiting list?

For a more European looks - Takamura vs Hap40 - I’m not a sharpening master - so Takamura is a better option, don’t think that a bit of more edge retention worth the pain.

If Kamo is out than there is only Yuki left in more traditional Japanese style... but what if i was to consider Koishi and Takeda for a bit higher price?

Koishi and Takeda are probably both better than Yuki, but how would you compare these to each other and Takamura?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:32 am 

If you want a non western handle Takeda
If you want a more "comfortable" transition knife Takamura

I own knives by both makers, and love them both equally, though I reach for my Takamura more than I do my Takeda in a professional setting.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:02 am 

Thank you!

To sum up:

wester style - takamura

no other options so far

oriental

takeda - with strached budget

or

yuki - more economical

now i need to make up my mind! :?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:27 am 

I'd go Takamura, really if I was going to pick one to stick with for home use.

It's on sale amazing knife and just a pleasure to cut with.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:02 pm 

Yes, the price is very good - cant argue with that.

However it says that they are out of stock...

Do i need to contact site administration? What is the usual waiting time?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:13 pm 

You can contact Mark

However the waiting time can and will vary greatly
Due to how they shipping
Getting through Customs
the manufacturing of the knifes themselves

So they could be in the air now, or might have to wait for a whole new batch.

I'd wait and see once they come back pounce, I did and didn't regret it at all.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:39 pm 

Great, thanks.

This is quite clear now.

Next step - 1 or 2 highend knives for myself... but this is a whole other story... :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

My top two picks from your list would be Takamura R-2 Gyuto or the Masakage Yuki for a hand made, refined rustic style of knife. After seeing all the Masakage lines that Mark carries, I still think the Yuki series represents the best performance/value and it's stainless clad for a bit lower maintenance. The Takamura is a thin, lightweight (for a Western handle) awesome performer. The Yuki is more of a middle weight great performer with a lot of character. Both knives are razor sharp OOTB.

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next