It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:33 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Konosuke Fujiyama 240 white #1 guyoto review
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:26 pm 

OK, I didn't have to look to know that I am not the first to review this knife, but hopefully a review from another individuals perspective can add to the body of knowlege on the site that already exists.

Upon receiving the knife the first thing that struck me was the level of finish on the knife - simply beyond beyond! There are not words to convey the attention to detail and thought put into this knife. It really defies classifications such as "laser", "mighty," etc. Rather it is an amalgamation of many traits into its own unique entity. If I had to sum this knife up asthetically it would be one word - art.

First Functional Inspection
Now for the best part. On first examination of the edge it was meticulously thin and uniform behind the edge, with the primary bevel started only, in other words not finished. This was obviously intentional by the maker with the assumption that the descriminating owner would rather accomplish the finish bevel himself. And so I did! First thing I did was put it on the stones.

On The Stones
Immediately it was evident that the heartbeat of this knife was the steel and heat treatment. Starting with 1k literally six passes per side established the bevel, and all that required was a feather touch! As I moved the knife through the progression, 2k,3k,6k,8k, and finishing with the Kitiyama and .5 chromium oxide strop on mule skin, for the first time ever I felt like I ran out of "stone" so to speak. The ease of how the edge improved through thr progression was nothing short of astounding! And all requiring nothing more than a feather touch.

Performance
Now you might think that this all sounds to good to be true... and that was what I suspected also. After all, how could a blade so easy and sensative on the stones still be sufficiently hard? I need not have worried. Before I finish let me regress for a moment and say that any board contact with my white #2 knives, evevn at hrc 62-63 resulted in the edge rounding over. Now I am speaking microscopically, and even ever so slightly, but the point is that this is how the blade edge dulls. Oh, its still very sharp, but to the observant it can be felt.

...So I took a raw potato and gave it some board contact. It went through it like cutting up pear! Probably took all of 3 ounces of pressure. Now this is a very premature observation I am about to make, as I have not flown through a mountain of produce to confirm it, but there is no indication this edge is rounding over. I therefore suspect the hardness of the edge is up towards the top of the range for the steel.

But how can this be? How can a blade be so responsive on the stones and yet be so apparently hard? I suspect the secret must be in the anealing process, but I don't think anyone is likely going to tell me for sure. Suffice to say it's like the rest of the knife - a wonderful dichotimy!

In Conclusion
Lastly, already this knife is very easily the sharpest one I own, and it gets that way frighteningly quickly and at the same time being very hard. Now I'm going to just have to go on another stone hunt in search of the furthest reaches of sharpness. Can we say 15k - 20k stones and finer strops! Any suggestions? Such a burden!

If these observations are striking a chord in you, take my advise as I took the advise of others on this site - go buy one - you will be in for a rare and wonderful experience in sharpness and beauty. Yes, this is knife art at it's finest!
Flash

Post subject: Re: Konosuke Fujiyama 240 white #1 guyoto review
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:47 am 

Great review! Enjoyed it immensely!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:19 pm 

This review makes me want to go and revisit my old friend for this evening's dinner prep. You are correct, there is something special about the Fujiyama blades.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:15 pm 

There's a 30k shapton glass...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:48 pm 

Nmiller21k wrote:There's a 30k shapton glass...

Yea, and it cost as much as a compact car.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:14 am 

What are some of the complaints/issues/things that could be better with the knife?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the review. :) I'm thrilled you love that knife as much as I do. I just wish they could make them faster.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:05 pm 

I'm going to do at least one (maybe more) follow up of this knife, especially concerning edges and performance. I've got a Shapton 15k on the way as well as .25 micron boron spray for balsa. Going to add this to the line up for this knife and experiment with a very very fine micro bevel and see where it takes me.

My thought is to keep improving the edge as long as it remains practical - which already makes me smile a little :D At any rate, I thought it would be fun to explore the limits of this blade!

Best

Flash
P.S. Shortfalls of this knife... Issues...Complaints:
I am very capable of being critical and appreciate the intention of the question. So I don't say this lightly, but really I have no suggestions to make this knife better. It's knife art. I really mean it. You don't fix masterpieces.
The knife is an entity unto itself. Unique. Complete. That's what I tried to convey...
Thanks Everyone...
More later!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:21 am 

I'm going to do at least one (maybe more) follow up of this knife, especially concerning edges and performance. I've got a Shapton 15k on the way as well as .25 micron boron spray for balsa. Going to add this to the line up for this knife and experiment with a very very fine micro bevel and see where it takes me.

My thought is to keep improving the edge as long as it remains practical - which already makes me smile a little. :D At any rate, I thought it would be fun to explore the limits of this blade!

Best

Flash
P.S. Re Defaultanon "Shortfalls of this knife... Issues...Complaints":
I am very capable of being critical and appreciate the intention of the question, so I don't say this lightly, but really I have no suggestions to make this knife better. It's knife art. I really mean it. You don't fix masterpieces.
The knife is an entity unto itself. Unique. Complete. That's what I tried to convey...
Thanks Everyone...
More later!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:22 am 

If a knife is perfect, you can't be expected to find reasons to hate it ;)
For me, at least, sometimes its easier to decide on a purchase based on what is wrong rather than what is right. I appreciate your response though.

Ill now have to spend some time convincing myself not to buy it. Excellent review.

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next