It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:19 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Curry Udon (Kare Udon)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:54 pm 

A few weeks ago, our chef had a friendly competition between all the cooks in the kitchen. This dish sealed the deal for me.
It is a twist on a traditional Japanese dish. As opposed to using traditional curry roux, I made a fresh traditional thai panang curry with lots of coconut milk. I sauteed some julienne red bell peppers, along with jalapeno slice on a bias before adding them to my curry. I cooked off my udon noodles then mixed it into my curry. I used chopsticks to plate the dish. I cut up some green onion and some nori to garnish.

The only thing I would change is the cut on the green onion, as it is not thin enough for my preference.

Post subject: Re: Curry Udon (Kare Udon)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:29 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well done!

The dish sure looks enticing.

:)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

NGUYEN <> Agreed. A radical bias on the green onion would give you some height & contrast interspersed with the nori.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:38 pm 

Melampus, I noticed that would have given me a better contrast as soon as I plated to serve our judges. Live and Learn, eh?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

NGUYEN <> Food is trial & error... you know that. You make it once, and improve it for next go-round. 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:38 pm 

I have struggled with making curry look as appetizing as it tastes, you did it very well!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:13 pm 

I think I drooled a bit. Usually my curry looks like something you'd find in the toilet after lunch at taco bell. Not very pleasing to the eye. Good on you for making it look tasty.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:13 pm 

I could care less how the damn curry looks. Curry is a dish that is about aromatics and spice. That looks very good. Really hoppy and alcoholic IPA beer pairs extremely well with curries. The bittering of the hops cuts the spice down.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:48 pm 

NGUYEN...

This also looks delicious. I take in you work at a place that specializes in Asian cuisine?

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:54 pm 

Todd in Chicago,
I made this in a hotel kitchen. I made this with what ingredients i have available to me. We mostly make contemporary American in our kitchen. However, my chef orders some special "non-conventional" ingredients you wouldn't find in a western kitchen for me to make stuff like this for private dinners/events. In a lot of my dishes, I like to use my heritage (Vietnamese and Thai) as inspiration for flavor profiles as well as my working knowledge of other Asian cuisines (mostly Korean, Japanese, and Chinese).

However, now I work at a sushi bar as well. So I do work in an establishment that specializes in Asian cuisine. However, this photo was taken before I got my position as a sushi chef. :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]