It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:18 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Rock Hard Deburring Felt Block
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:49 am 

This may sound like a negative review but it is actually a request for advice. I got one of these deburring blocks and found it to be completely ineffective. Completely, no difference at all in my edge.

So, either I'm right or am doing something wrong. I have no problem removing burrs anyway but thought I'd try this out. How do other people feel who have tried this? If you like it exactly how do you use it? I just slide my edge alont the corner of the block with a little pressure.

Jack

Post subject: Re: Rock Hard Deburring Felt Block
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:30 pm 

I think you are supposed to actually cut into the block with the knife and draw the entire edge through it.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:36 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well, the block is for deburring, and you did state that you have no trouble deburring..... sooooooo..... :D :D :D

Do your edges have burrs now while using it? If not, then the block is doing its job.

For people who raise a burr while sharpening, this is just a little nicer than using a wine cork. Wine corks tend to catch the edge and pull a lot harder, whereas the felt is more gentle and won't rip all the teeth out.

I hope this helps.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:04 pm 

It's possible that I didn't cut deep enough and/or I didn't have much of a burr to begin with. Normally I strop as a final step and if there is any burr I have missed it shows in the leather on the first stroke on that side. I use a fine stone to remove the burr and continue stropping. The next time I have a burr like that I'll try the block again and cut into it quite a bit. I'll try not to cut deep enough to cut my fingers off. :shock:

Jack

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:31 pm 

As you know a burr is created by metal folding over. This metal is weakened in the process. Ideally the burr is removed by the stone it is created on as you regress down on the number of strokes. However on a micro structural level there are still fragments of weakened metal. Running the edge through media (cutting into it) like the felt deburring block should remove the weakened metal created by the sharping process.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:48 pm 

In the past I have used a piece of wood, usually the corner of the wood I use to make strops. A couple of cuts into the wood using only the weight of the blade would do it. I was thinking the felt block just didn't have the density to work. I did sharpen a knife after I started this thread and when I sliced some phone book paper I could feel right at the belly about 1/2" of edge that had a little more resistance to slicing. I used the felt block and cut pretty deep into it this time, about 3/8" - 1/2". That took care of the burr I had left on the edge. My opinion about the felt block is now better. As usual, my method or use of a tool was the problem. :) I do wonder how long the block will last with me cutting into it like that. I'm sure I'll get $6 worth of use. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:02 pm 
Site Admin

Sometimes you won't get any improvement if there is no burr produced when you sharpen or if you have removed it with your technique before you use the block.

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:03 pm 

I do not find the results of using a felt block are better than other deburring media, only that the experience of using it is better--it lasts longer than rubber/cork, it gives consistent feedback on how toothy/polished your edge is(as you polish a blade up it will cut less into the block--an edge off a 140x Atoma will try to cut the block in half, and at .5 microns, it barely makes a nick.

With my block, it found that after I used it up(covered it in swarf and cuts), I trimmed it down to reveal new felt and keep using it. The edges are MUCH firmer now...it appears that these blocks may just be a bit soft at first, and now that I've trimmed mine down, it's like a little brick. Works great.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]