It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:20 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 4 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the most bizarre request you got as a chef?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:53 am 
Forum Moderator

"I prefer the term heart of the house instead of back of the house!"

Amen.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:36 am 

Lol that's my story and I'm sticking with it. - it's great and all, but in the end, we work so we can get money right? just being honest. =D

i'm not whoring myself out either but, a share in the money where people actually worked for the dish and not just serve it, get all the praises and tips. all i'm saying is that, we should get a larger share. they should put themselves in our tired beat up shoes first before they start pocketing that money.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:59 pm 
Forum Moderator

FRANZ <> As I'm sure you're aware, it is quite common for a Sushi bar to get a server tip out just like bus or service bar. Fair to the hot side... no, but common. As for the hot kitchen, I've never heard of one getting a tip out, but I have definitely worked in kitchens that have had money thrown at it from the front. As Chef, I have also received tips from guests for the kitchen of which I've disseminated.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:24 pm 

my problem here is that, out here, we get paid equal or even less than that of servers and don't get tips, if at all. it's just how it is here in my country. so that's why most cooks here pretty much suck up to these servers just to get a small share, who are basically slackers from where we see it, and it just annoys the hell out of us. this isn't just something that happens where i've worked or trained at, it happens pretty much everywhere here.

there's just an oral agreement that us folks in the back gets a share. of how much of it is theirs and ours, that's up to them. if they feel greedy, we don't get squat and we don't have a say about it.

ok, getting a bit off topic. sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:52 pm 

A pizza salad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:18 pm 

A salad as a lettuce wrap.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:13 pm 

Pizza salad?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:41 am 

My first food service job was working for a company that pumped out sushi and salad rolls for high end grocery stores in the area. The quality was pretty bad, but to his credit the owner took criticism to heart. Sadly, this meant I was involved in a brainstorming session that stemmed from an email a customer had sent about how it was "fucking impossible to eat this god damn salad roll while driving" as it had fallen apart while he attempted to switch gears. Instead of simply replying that maybe you shouldn't attempt to eat and drive stick, we killed an hour figuring out how to make it sturdier. I started writing ridiculous emails to the owner with complaints along the lines of "as i awoke from cryosleep, i found my california roll had not faired as well as i had hoped."

The most ridiculous was an order that came in just a few days ago. It was four OE eggs on four pieces of cheese melted over two sausage patties atop a double order of biscuits and gravy with hash browns with flank steak, mushrooms, and onions underneath it. It was about a foot high and probably over 10k calories. Beautiful

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:49 am 

They skipped the hollandaise and mornay sauce I see. Shame.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:19 am 

You'd have to use a Bearnaise I think, there is a steak in there afterall

Page 3 of 4 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next